The First Dog to Become a Sergeant | Teen Ink

The First Dog to Become a Sergeant

May 26, 2023
By aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York
aamjad GOLD, Getzville, New York
11 articles 5 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Knowledge won't come to you. You will only get knowledge if you learn and understand it"
(Ayesha Amjad)


Have you ever wondered if there were ever animals who served in the war? Nowadays dogs and many other animals serve in the military. Back then it was uncommon to find an animal to help with the fighting. But there was a point in history where we had a dog come to the front. Sergeant Stubby; is the most decorated dog in history. Sergeant Stubby served for eighteen months in seventeen battles along with his owner Corporal James Robert Conroy during the Great War. 

It all started on a day in 1917 when a stray pit bull mix wandered onto the Yale University campus while the 102nd Infantry Regiment was training. He fit right in! Participating in drills and even gaining knowledge of how to salute with his right paw. He received the coronary heart of Corporal J. Robert Conroy (back then a private) who adopted him. Stubby earned his name (Stubby) for his short stubby tail.


Eventually, the troop was shipped to the trenches in France. Stubby was smuggled aboard the troop ship S.S. Minnesota in an overcoat. It was there, in France, that Stubby was exposed to mustard gas. Mustard gas a.k.a. Sulfur gas is a human-made chemical that is used as a warfare agent. It causes blistering of the skin and mucous membranes on contact. 


Finally recovered, Stubby was returned to the front lines with his own personal specially-designed mask. This exposure to the mustard gas and the dog’s characteristic strong sense of smell, allowed him to warn the 102nd of impending poison gas attacks. Stubby also learned how to locate wounded soldiers during patrols, and was able to give a warning about an imminent German attack. In April 1918 the Americans and the 102nd Infantry were ultimately able to prove their tenacity when they participated in a raid on the German-held town of Schiprey. As the Germans retreated they threw hand grenades at the pursuing allies. Stubby got a little over avid and found himself on the pinnacle of a trench when a grenade went off and he was wounded in the foreleg. 


The event that really boosted up his rank was when he spotted a German spy hiding and kept the bewildered man pinned by holding the seat of his pants until reinforcements arrived. Stubby earned the German spy’s Iron Cross and wore it on his blanket for many years. Stubby then earned the rank of Sergeant outranking his owner along with Corporal Conroy earning the rank of Corporal. 

Stubby was also gassed a few instances and subsequently ended up in the hospital when his owner, Corporal Conroy, was wounded After a while of doing hospital duty, Stubby and Corporal Conroy ended up back at the 102nd and spent the remainder of the war with that unit. The Great War ended in 1918 and Stubby was smuggled home to Connecticut the same way he was smuggled into war.

Sergeant Stubby earned many medals and accouterments including the Iron Cross, 3 Service Stripes, the Yankee Division YD Patch, the French Medal Battle of Verdun, the 1st Annual American Legion Convention Medal Minneapolis, in Minnesota in November 1919, the New Haven WW1 Veterans Medal, the Republic of France Grande War Medal, the St Mihiel Campaign Medal, the Purple Heart, the Chateau Thierry Campaign Medal, and the 6th Annual American Legion Convention. 

Stubby returned home as somewhat of a celebrity. He became a lifetime member of the American Legion, marched in every legion parade, and attended every legion convention from the end of the war until his death. Stubby was written in practically every newspaper in the country. He met three United States presidents, Wilson, Harding, and Coolidge. He was also a member of the Red Cross and the YMCA. 

Sergeant Stubby eventually died in 1926. Corporal James Robert Conroy died in the year of 1987. To learn more about Stubby there are many books and articles about him. But I encourage you to watch the movie Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero. This movie is a computer-animated adventure film focusing on Stubby’s real life. You can also find Sergeant Stubby at the Smithsonian Institute National Museum of American History, Armed Forces Collections in Washington, DC.


The author's comments:

After watching the movie, it inspired me to tell the rest of the world about this fantastic intelligent dog.