Striving Mother | Teen Ink

Striving Mother

By bennettm23 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri
bennettm23 BRONZE, Wentzville, Missouri

Someone dear to me has forever changed the way I view the world around me. My mother- strict yet comforting. The type of woman/mom to yell at you but cannot stay mad at her for more than an hour. She has an influence that expands not just to me, but to others she has known for years or even strangers. The most extroverted introvert I have ever met in my life. 

Coming from a rough and abusive childhood, her desire to become the mother/parental figure, she had not received herself, was a top priority. Running away from home at 17 and staying with her ex-boyfriend’s mom gave her the freedom she had craved, a new feeling of independence. After several severe altercations with family after leaving, she had to express her newly found strength to hold her ground. When a year went by, the boyfriend’s mom became someone she could look up to. She was someone who wouldn't let anyone hold her back and worked with the motivation of a better life. Those two had forever bonded ever since and her new mom became my Nana. My Nana unfortunately passed away this past December. 

My mom had to leave at 18, and with her new courage, she had the will to move into the big city of Boston and face life head-on without experience or proper education. The skyline and tall buildings are something most people would find intimidating, but not her. Finding a job was difficult without college and barely receiving a High School diploma. But she kept trying and trying until she found herself as a rookie Bank Teller.  She was a woman in the 1980s, so finding a job without any experience in a male-dominated career path was incredibly difficult. But it was nothing she couldn’t handle. Having to learn banking from scratch, she studied and worked day and night to master her work, and she did. Reminds me of the movie “Pursuit of Happiness,” which entailed someone who came from nothing having to work hard to receive the life they wanted for themselves and a future family. My mother strived and made a living she could rely on. 

My mother’s story of meeting my father is very unique to most you hear. My father, who went to college for 7 years, was barely on his feet working a blue-collar job. After being forced on a date by my father’s crazy cousin who met my mom while playing one online game of backgammon with her, they became close. After dating for a year or so, she helped him quit his job and start working for the government. My mother had helped my father get onto his feet.  Her independence has inspired me, my father, and others to rely on her and to become more independent. She is the perfect example of thriving when the odds are against you and destroy all negative labels about being a woman in the workforce.

A current High School Senior who is going to appreciate their mother before leaving for College.