What The United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What The United States Flag Stands For

By LibbiNacker BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
LibbiNacker BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Thirteen stripes, resting side by side, represent the fight for independence–the pain and suffering of those who fought for America. Old Glory Red and Blue symbolize courage and loyalty while white means purity. Fifty perfectly positioned stars represent the states we can call our homes.

Every morning I stand with my hand placed over my heart, declaring the Pledge of Allegiance to honor the nation. As I face the flag, I recall its significance–the fight for justice and freedom that allows me my rights. Every word rolls off my tongue with prideness and privilege.

As I sat in history class, I learned about the pain the whole country went through during each gruesome war. I watched documentaries about the men who lost limbs and the men who lost their lives. The thought of their wives knowing they will never be the same, or never come home, will forever haunt me. These men risked their lives and innocence for the freedom of every single person living in the United States. 

The flag stands for you and me. It stands for the women who fought and continue to fight for equal rights. It stands for the wrongly discriminated against. It stands for the families who come to America seeking freedom and safety. The flag stands for us.