Elizabeth J: What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

Elizabeth J: What the United States Flag Stands For

November 4, 2022
By tripp_walsh SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
tripp_walsh SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Win on three! One, two, three, WIN!”

Our team breaks the huddle and gets to the sideline. In perfect synchronization, we take our helmets off and put a hand on each other's shoulder. The crowd quiets; the only sound is the heavy breathing of everyone on the sideline. Then the silence is broken.

“Please rise for the playing of our National Anthem.”

The first note plays, and as the flag waves high and proud, I begin to think about everything I see in the stars and stripes. 

I think about where the National Anthem came from. I think about the men who fought for our freedom during the War of 1812. I think about the lone flag waving in the breeze despite the chaos surrounding it. It reminds me that America is a land of perseverance and through hard work, I can achieve anything. 

I think about the battles fought. I think about the six men who planted the flag at Iwo Jima, and all the other heroes who fought to protect our country. I think about the tragic events of 9/11. I think about how through all the rubble and debris, the flag still rises above it all to remind us that as long as we have the flag, we have hope, and that we will come together. 

I think about my grandpa. I think about his service to our country in the Army. I think about the bravery he displayed and the bravery the people he served with displayed. Everytime I see him, I feel so lucky not only because I get to talk to a hero, but because the hero also happens to be my grandpa. 

And as the final note hits, and an applause rumbles the ground, I take one last look at the flag. I take a deep breath, and I remember that I play for the people that make the luxury of playing football possible.