What the United States Flag Stands For | Teen Ink

What the United States Flag Stands For

In the trenches of WW1 the soldiers did anything to stay alive. They had each other's back at all times. They put their differences aside to fight for their country and to make sure our flag was the one standing at the end. 

This frame of mind has almost been lost in today’s modern America. Today each and every person is looking to tear each other apart. That just doesn’t seem like America from 100 years ago. 

When I think of what the flag means, the first thing that comes to mind is a group of people coming together to support the country and help it become a better place. The phrase being slimmed down into one word: patriotism. 

In our history I see patriotism in many ways. We see the men going to war to keep our country a safe place, we see the women staying home taking on the mens jobs while they are gone to keep the country functioning. While both jobs are very different I don’t think either goes unnoticed. The men couldn’t survive without the women back home making them supplies.

Through those acts of patriotism by both sides a large group of people come together to support not only the country but each other. 

Patriotism, patriotism, patriotism.