Silver Lining | Teen Ink

Silver Lining

May 21, 2009
By Hawley Emanuele BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
Hawley Emanuele BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have a hero. Everyone does, whether they admit it or not. My hero does not wear a cape or have superhuman strength, but I look up to him just the same. My hero’s name is Lou, and while he cannot lift a building, he is one of the strongest people I know.

One year ago, Lou was a successful handyman who had made several appearances on HGTV. One day, while working on one of his jobs, Lou accidentally fell off of a thirty foot ladder and broke his back. He is now paralyzed from the waist down and the doctors say he will never walk again. After his accident, Lou saw an outpouring of support from his friends and family. The Shepherd Spinal Center, a catastrophic care hospital in Atlanta, said they have never seen so many submissions asking for the admittance of one person.

One day, my family and I were visiting Lou at the Shepherd Center; he called my sister and me to his bedside. He proceeded to tell us that this was the best thing that had ever happened to him. He said he had never realized what good of friends he had, and he had never truly appreciated them before. He had been strengthened spiritually, and the accident had really put his life into perspective. I was astounded that something which looked so terrible in my eyes could be viewed as a blessing to him.

Throughout the entire ordeal, Lou was never discouraged or depressed. He has never accepted the doctors’ diagnosis of him being permanently wheelchair bound; he fully believes that he will walk someday, and he is looking forward to riding his motorcycles again. I believe Lou has strength greater than a superhero, because he has never lost his sense of humor or his sense of hope.