Why I Am Thankful for Our Veterans | Teen Ink

Why I Am Thankful for Our Veterans

Dear World War 2 veteran,

I had just finished watching the Honor flight movie and I am moved by it. It really made me think of how greatful I am for our veterans. I am beyond thankful for you because of the sacrifice you made and because of your effort fighting for this country. My grandparents were living in the Netherlands during the time that it got invaded and their parents were taken from them. This just makes me think how grateful I am for your help to end that war before the Nazi’s had taken over completely. I chose to write to a WW2 veteran because this hits close to home for my family as I am dutch.

As a child, I idolized soldiers and I still do. I acknowledge what vets have done and make sure to show my gratitude as best I can. The legacy left behind from our veterans is shown and talked about through our modern day educational system and as students, we make sure to thank veterans appropriately. One question I have is who was there for you after you returned from battle?

Personally, I have a lot of gratitude towards members of the US Military who sacrifice for the sake of the United States. I understand that many troops were not welcomed properly and it really is a shame that the welcome home was not as genuine as it could have been. For that I say “Welcome home” and “thank you for your service.” Feel free to respond to my letter. I am just thankful that you got a chance to see my gratitude.

Thank you

This made me really think how veterans should be appreciated and I decided to show how thankful I truly am.