America's Veterans | Teen Ink

America's Veterans

May 3, 2019
By ChristianCC3 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
ChristianCC3 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,


Words simply are not enough to show you how appreciative I am for your sacrifice to our country. It doesn’t go unnoticed how much you’ve sacrificed and the amount of time that you’ve spent away from your family. Today, your country thanks you for giving your life, time, energy, and love for the improvement of our lives.


My name is Christian, and I am a high school senior in Hartland, WI. I wanted to write to you today to show my appreciation for the impact you have made on my life along with the lives of my loved ones.


I wouldn’t be sitting here writing to you today if it weren’t for the blood, sweat, and tears you’ve gone through. You put your life on the line which means more than could ever be expressed to you.


Having visited the veterans memorials in Washington D.C. in eighth grade it’s evident to me how your sacrifice has bettered our country currently and the future lives of U.S. citizens. At the memorials, the emotion around ranged everywhere from those who were appreciative to be there and understood the sacrifice, to those who sobbed in remembering their loved ones. Your decision to serve our country took bravery, courage, soul, and determination.


Furthermore, on the way back from our eighth grade class trip to D.C., we were privileged to witness an Honor Flight of veterans arriving in D.C. The support from the civilians at the airport meant the world to the vets. After not being treated fairly after initially coming back from war, the Veterans felt that they weren’t loved and often felt that their decision to serve made no impact on their country.


Thankfully the veterans were able to look past all that came before and genuinely appreciated their welcome home. More than anything, I wish that veterans today knew just how much they mean to those around them at all times including you. After your decision to serve, there was no backing down which resembles your qualities. Your grit and determination to serve was a sacrifice higher than any other can make. You are certainly braver than you believe and more appreciated than you will ever know. From the bottom of my heart I want you to know how thankful I am for you and all that you have done for our country.


Sincerely,


Christian


The author's comments:

This piece includes details of why I am so thankful for our Veterans and why I am thankful to live in America.