Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By Emma-AHS2020 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Emma-AHS2020 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

To begin, I would like to thank you for the sacrifice you made for our country. I am humbled to have the opportunity to give you the thank you and welcome home you have always deserved.

It was unnerving to hear how you and your fellow soldiers were welcomed home from combat. I cannot begin to imagine the emotion that came along when you returned home to people who were disrespecting you. The way you and your fellow soldiers were treated was inhumane and disgraceful; however, I hope that today you were given the welcome home you deserved in D.C.

With college soon approaching, I’ve been thinking about what I want to do in the future. I cannot imagine what it would be like to leave behind my life, my friends, and my family at such a young age. It is inspiring that you did such a thing. The bravery, dedication, and devotion that is necessary for such a decision is truly inspiring.

I’m a Certified Nursing Assistant at a nursing home near my house. I have many residents that served in war as well. I feel incredibly grateful to care for the men and women who have indirectly cared for me. I am incredibly fortunate to have an opportunity to listen to their stories and personally thank them for what they have done for me.

Although I cannot personally be there with you today, I want to thank you and say welcome home. Thank you for your sacrifice and your commitment to this country.