A Thank You | Teen Ink

A Thank You

May 2, 2019
By lauren02 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
lauren02 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,


I want to start off by saying thank you. Thank you for all of your hard work, dedication, and bravery. Thank you for your service to our country. I cannot thank you enough for what you’ve done.


My name is Lauren M. and I am a senior in high school. As I get ready to go to college I have no clue what I want to do with my life. It’s surreal to me that some people decided to join the army at my age. I would be scared out of my mind. But that’s what makes you and veterans like you so unbelievably special.


In 8th grade, I traveled to Washington DC. I saw the World War II Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and many others. I was moved by what I saw. All the names of those who sacrificed themselves for their country. Seeing that made me never want to feel sorry for myself again.


From watching the Honor Flight videos in class to visiting the memorials in Washington DC, I’m happy that you get to experience it. You deserve this and so much more for what you’ve done for our country.


My family has military background with my great grandpa fighting in World War II and my uncle fighting in Afghanistan now. I’ve heard many stories. One that my great grandpa told me is one I’ll remember forever. He was on the front line that arrived at Auschwitz, he said he’d never forget what he saw and especially what he smelt. He stated that no one could ever be prepared for that moment. He took pictures because he knew that if he didn’t bring back proof, no one would believe him for what he saw. That’s when I realized that people who don’t fight in the war never really know how much one who does see and experiences and we should never take that for granted. I’m sure that you have many stories of your own and I’d love to hear them if you have time.


Sincerely,

Lauren M.