Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

Vietnam Veteran

By mason413 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
mason413 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran, 

Since I was six, I’ve wanted to become a soldier. I’ve always wanted the hero status, the thought I actually did something above myself.

Now as a 17 year old, I realized I never in my life would have the testicular fortitude for a such a task. On the contrary, you did. You left your family and signed away at least 2 years of your life.

I assume what you saw was not beautiful at all. According to gettysburgflag, the vietnam war had nine million US members. Of those nine million, 60,000 died while 304,000 were injured. If you had lost someone from your squad or battalion, I send my condolences. If you were injured, how the hell did you get past it? Nowadays, Millenials get looked at in a weird way and either cry about it or try to sue you for all your worth.

To end this letter, I also want to apologize on behalf of the individuals who “greeted” you during your homecoming. According to various sources, vietnam veterans were treated like horse s***.  The cold-blooded stares and hatred you received may not have been ideal, but their ability to even say such a thing has derived from various veterans. They’ve gone overseas to fight wars so we won’t see them here. For that reason and so many more, I will always be thankful and always be in your debt.

Sincerely,

Mason

A piece written for a honor flight veteran.