Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

January 7, 2019
By Anonymous

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,


Most people today are on their phones and they do not care about the military or that you served in the United States Army. For example, at sports games, there are people that do not pay attention to the planes that fly above the stadium. It is very disappointing to acknowledge this. Therefore, I wanted to do the opposite and want to say thank you for your sacrifice.


My name is Catherine and I am sixteen years old. I am a junior. I watched the Honor Flight movie and I believe that you deserve honor. This means a lot to me to write to you.


Your story means very much to me. I have heard many stories and I believe that veterans have the best stories because they have actually gone through the event. I have learned to be thankful that people like you served in the military.


I love to tell veterans welcome home! It makes me feel good on the inside because you are being nice to someone. Especially to someone who has gone through the military. It is hard work to be in the military. You must be disciplined to be in the Army because life is easier to listen to your commander’s instructions. I am thankful to write to someone brave like you! Thank you for serving!


I would love to say welcome home to you! Welcome back to Wisconsin! I have been to all the monuments in Washington D.C. I really enjoyed them and felt that you deserve the monuments because of your service in the military. My favorite monument was the World War II Memorial. I know the most about World War II. My family and I went to Washington D.C. twice. I hope that you will enjoy them as much as I did! This is a special day for you like it was a special day for me!


Your sacrifice of leaving friends and family behind was brave. I would not be able to do that, especially as a sixteen-years-old. My grandpa served during the Korean War and worked with the radios. I love having family members and veterans that I can talk or write to about these experiences because I can pass their story on. I also want to be a historian, so that helps too! I was interested in history since third grade and I am still interested in history now! Thank you again for your service and welcome back home!

Sincerely,


Catherine


The author's comments:

This is written for a veteran on an upcoming Honor Flight!