Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

January 4, 2019
By sammy8562 BRONZE, Merton, Wisconsin
sammy8562 BRONZE, Merton, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,

I am writing to you to express my gratitude for your service. Without veterans like you, I would not be able to take the path I want in life. Nowadays I don’t think that my peers understand how important your sacrifice was and continues to be. Not only to my future but theirs as well. So on behalf of all of my peers, I am saying thank you. In my creative writing class, we have watched the Honor Flight movie in class as inspiration for writing these letters. As I was watching, seeing all of the veterans, made me think of your sacrifice.  


My name is Samatha and I’m 17 years old. I am a senior in High school. Around my age, you were probably anticipating enlisting. I find it difficult to see myself in a situation as you have ventured. I have a sister who enlisted in August of 2018.  I found it hard to be away from her I can only imagine what your family has felt. I’m curious which uniforms you wear and which one is your favorite? I am wondering because I have a family friend who has enlisted and she has a personal favorite. When you were my age what were your hobbies? How did you spend your free time? How did the military become a passion for you? I am just so curious in hopes of a better understanding.

In conclusion, I would greatly appreciate if you would write back to me. I look forward to your responses and I would love to hear from you!

Sincerely,

Samantha