Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

By gamoen GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin
gamoen GOLD, Nashotah, Wisconsin

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

Here in America there are many things to be grateful for. We can spend our time at amusement parks, watch sporting games on our TVs, most of us can even drive ourselves to get fresh food without thinking twice about it. The most important things, however, aren’t these luxuries we indulge in––they are the simpler things. I’m grateful I can walk down the street without having to worry about being bombed. I’m grateful we have an economy that allows my family to work. I’m grateful that my family can afford to eat everyday. I’m grateful for people like you who have fought to make me feel safe––something that in many countries people don’t get to feel. I thank you and honor your courage and strength to fight for our country and will forever be appreciative for it.

My name is Gabriela, I am a senior in high school. I’m at the age where I am nearing the end of my days as a child and preparing to enter the adult world. This has made me spend lots of time thinking about what I want to do with my life. I’m not decided on what I want to do yet, but I know I want to do something that will leave a mark. You are an inspiration to my future by the unforgettable mark you have left on this country. Your decision to serve our country shows me that it is possible to make a difference if you have perseverance.

No amount of words can do justice for how special you are. All that you went through to make our country free and to make our futures brighter is life changing. I hope that you feel the same as I do and realize how amazing you are, because only you truly know how difficult it was at times. You made it through those hard times and came out with memories and friendships that will be with you forever, reminding you of what you gave to this country. You have made an immense impact on our country, and on me. I wholeheartedly thank you for the sacrifice you bravely made that helped shape America.

Sincerely,

Gabriela