Welcome Home Veteran | Teen Ink

Welcome Home Veteran

By tennis2018 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
tennis2018 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Wisconsin Vietnam Veteran,

I’m thankful for veterans because they have paved the way to make my life and the lives of others easier. Having fought and done what many of us are too afraid to do, I thank you for your service and for the sacrifices you have made. Welcome Home!

I can’t come to believe how when you were my age, you were enlisting in the military, whereas I still am not sure what I want to do.

I hope that you and your family are doing well. Every morning in school, we start the school day by saying the Pledge of Allegiance. I believe that as simple as saying the Pledge and National Anthem as a way of thanking you and your fellow veterans and having pride in our country. Still, I believe that we can do so much more and be involved in activities to show how much we support and honor you. You stood before our country and exemplified courage, bravery, and pride when others could not.

One of the ways I love to show support for you and your fellow veterans is being part of a club called SAVE Team, which stands for Survivor and Veteran Experiences. We interview veterans and survivors in hopes of preserving their stories for years to come. I have been lucky enough to interview veterans, and if I am being truly honest, I didn’t quite understand exactly what you had gone through until after. The history books can only share an overview, but your personal accounts are so much more meaningful and impactful. Having gone on interviews, a Veteran’s Day Breakfast, watching the Stars and Stripes Honor Flight Film, and Veterans Coffee, I have been able to hear many stories and know that not one is alike. The stories if those in Vietnam greatly differ from those in Korea and WWII.

I would love to invite you to next year's Veteran’s Day Breakfast and Coffee. If you are ever interested in sharing your story let me know!

This past fall, I was lucky enough to go to an Honor Flight Homecoming. It is a memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life. The amount of people that are at the Homecoming is crazy. Seeing the veterans come off of the plane and walk through the crowd is a special feeling. The Honor Flight Homecoming will not only impact you, but it leaves an impact on everyone that comes to welcome you home. Lastly, I just wanted to say Welcome Home!

Sincerely,

Anisia