The First Amendment | Teen Ink

The First Amendment

By tennis2018 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
tennis2018 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The American Dream is fought for every day by our soldiers and veterans. To me, the American Dream is opportunity and freedom of speech. Veterans endured hardships and pain to keep Americans from facing it too. They put their rights and freedoms on hold, so Americans would able to experience rights and freedoms years later.

I sit in an assisted living home, listening to World War II veteran, Harry Boehler tell his story. I see pride on his face, his eyes sparkling as he shows his achievements: World War II Victory, Philippine Liberation, Navy Occupation, Combat Service, Asiatic Pacific Camp, and American Campaign. He talks about when the kamikazes flew over him. Harry Boehler is a true hero who fought for our freedom speech.

I sit at the airport waiting to welcome home veterans who never received a proper homecoming. As I hold signs, clap, and cheer, I see Vietnam Veterans receive the recognition and support they were not given when they came home from the war. The Stars and Stripes Honor Flight thanks our veterans and gives them a heart-stirring homecoming, allowing them to share their stories with fellow veterans.

The American Dream is fought for every day by our soldiers and veterans.

We the ordinary people of America, are able to have opportunities to make choices then and now, exercise the first amendment; because of the extraordinary who put their rights on hold.