At 17 | Teen Ink

At 17

November 13, 2018
By bubbles525 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
bubbles525 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

At 17, Charles Heinl left Minster, Ohio, to serve in the Navy in World War II. Ten months after he left, his carrier ship was attacked by the largest battleship in Japan. He clung to a life raft for 42 hours in the Pacific after his ship sank. For 42 hours, he and 12 other guys took turns clinging to the life raft, battling off sharks and hallucinations. At 17, his goal was to return home alive.

At 17, Bob Mulcahy joined the U.S Navy in his brother's footsteps. He arrived in Hawaii to the fight against Japan. He was the eyes and ears of the ship, and occasionally a lookout for kamikaze planes. Endlessly under attack by the Japanese, he focused on positivity to get him through. Daily, he received news that one of his shipmates passed away. At 17, he learned the importance of teamwork.

At 19, Victor Westiner was drafted into the military as an aircraft mechanic. When he landed in Iwo Jima, he saw a  beach covered in holes, debris, wrecks, and bodies. He saw bomber planes when left his station, and when they came back. “Of course not everyone came back,” he said. At 19, Victor faced more death and tragedy than most will in a lifetime.

At 17, I am able to get an education. I am fortunate to not worry about seeing death. I am able to disagree with the government without any consequences. I have the freedom to pursue any job I want as long as I put the effort in. I live in a warm house and I have food on my table every night. I can proudly put out the American Flag. At 17, I have freedom of speech because of others who have risked their lives.