Teacher of the year! | Teen Ink

Teacher of the year!

By Spencer Schwab BRONZE, Colgate, Wisconsin
Spencer Schwab BRONZE, Colgate, Wisconsin

Arrowhead Union High School is a school of national reputation for academic, community, athletic, and co-curricular excellence. But what would this school be without Mr. Nejedlo?
Pete Nejedlo is the Associate Principal at Arrowhead High School. Not only does he pride himself on being there for students, community members, and fellow staff, but also for his love of teaching and guidance.
When students first see Pete walking down the hallway they get nervous, and tend to run and hide. But, once they get to know him, they realize he is not so bad! Being the Associate Principal at one of the largest schools in the state of Wisconsin, Pete has the responsibility of keeping nearly 1,150 juniors and seniors on track; his advice should not be taken lightly considering his great success earning his B.A. English & Education at the University of South Florida and his M.A. Educational Administration at Edgewood College in Madison, Wisconsin.
For Pete, this means getting students to school on time, giving a warm good morning welcome, keeping students in class, monitoring the school, attending all athletic events, disciplining students (if necessary), administering random drug testing, teaching summer school, and most importantly, being a good mentor and friend to anyone that needs his guidance. Whether it is a serious issue or nothing of importance, Mr. Nejedlo is always the guy to go to.
When not busy in school, Pete is busy working in the community. He volunteers at many community festivals, and is a dedicated church leader. He also devotes his time to coaching girls’ and boys’ basketball teams in the 5th-8th grades.
Since you’re probably wondering where all of these awesome attributes came from, it is important to mention how Pete has served his country. Pete Nejedlo spent four years in the Army during the Vietnam War. He was stationed in Hawaii for three years and then in Vietnam before he decided to teach.
So whenever you need a smart and loving guy, Pete is there for you! He definitely deserves the title as Arrowhead High School’s teacher of the year. Vote Pete!