Mr. Newcott | Teen Ink

Mr. Newcott

By TJThomas BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
TJThomas BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

A great educator means to me someone who can teach you things not just in the classroom but also out of it too. Some educators stray too far from the actual teaching of what schools require while others are black and white taking notes and learning new information. Educators who can stay in the middle of those two categories really leave a lasting impression on students. There's one educator that really comes to mind when I think of Educator of the year. His name is Dan Newcott.

A good first impression is key and I got one from Mr. Newcott immediately. When I walked in his room for the first time I immediately felt welcomed because of how his room was decorated. Instead of his walls lined with boring teacher posters, he has sports banners hung up. I knew after the first day of reading what I had heard was an extremely boring book (The Good Earth) that it was going to be a fun year. The way he made jokes about the book while still teaching it made everyone eager to keep reading while forgetting it was a book. I later learned that that was just an everyday thing in his class.

Next, everyday it seemed that he taught a life lesson whether it was through a story or something else. Mr Newcott appeared to waste time on Monday mornings, but it was precisely the opposite. Looking back, I think he was trying to wake people up by letting people talk about their weekend. My class was first thing in the morning, but I don't recall a single person falling asleep. All in all, he demanded the attention and respect of his students without ever having to ask for it.

Finally, a specific time in which I remember how personable he was, was when our school had French exchange students. After only about half an hour the French students felt comfortable enough to share their names and ask Mr. Newcott questions. If people who don't even speak his language as a first language laugh at his jokes and feel comfortable around him, it proves he could teach anyone with the will to learn. He is truly an easy to talk to teacher, unlike some teachers who are quite intimidating.

I think everything about Mr. Newcott warrants an Educator of the Year award. My words do not do justice of his services that have been done to countless students. He is a great person and a great educator. I cannot think of someone who epitomizes the term Educator of the Year any more than Dan Newcott.