Educator of the year | Teen Ink

Educator of the year

April 1, 2014
By TAylorelese BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
TAylorelese BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Educator of the Year nomination


Throughout my middle school career I always had a person that helped me when I needed help. That of course was Ms. Gloria Boots. Boots was my cheerleading coach, my volleyball coach and also, my school guidance counselor. Ms. Boots was the most loyal, supportive, and helpful person I could have at school. She was by far the best counselor I have had. She always tried to give me the best advice and the right paths to begin a better future for me.


During middle school I always had things that I needed help in and didn’t know what to do. Ms. Boots was always there no matter what she was doing. She would drop what she was doing and help me out. She taught me that education was the first thing that needed to been done if I wanted a good future. Ms. Boots always encouraged me to give 100% in everything that I did. So, I took her advice and gave my 100% and stayed focus in school.


In A.i middle Ms. Boots was my coach for several sports I played. Which I enjoyed because I knew her and felt comfortable with her as being my coach. She taught me that I had to know how to be a good athlete and still balance my school work with everything. I’ve been doing cheerleading since the 4th grade and Ms. Boots taught me some techniques that none of my previous coaches had taught me. She showed me the importance of being a flyer. Which it all improved in all my stunts and body positions in the air. All of it had paid off so far.


When the time came around for choosing high schools I was clueless and had no idea which school would be the best for my future. So of course I went to Ms. Boots and she showed me the school DMA. When I became interested in everything that she had told me about, so eventually I applied. Everything was going good, once the interview came around she made sure I wasn’t nervous and answered all my questions that I had before I went. When she heard I got accepted I honestly think she was more excited than I was myself. When a teacher would pass, she would brag on how she helped me out and that I’m going to go to such a good school.


Once it came to say goodbye it was really depressing. I knew that I was going to miss her. She gave me her best wishes and I had to move on. But that wasn’t the end of her. She came to football games to see me cheer and say how proud she was. I think Ms. Boots should get educator of the year because she really deserves it. She really helped out with everything I needed and not only that she went over and beyond. That’s why I think she should be selected of educator of the year.