Who I think should be Educator Of The Year | Teen Ink

Who I think should be Educator Of The Year

Education is not just about learning facts and figures. It's about finding mentors who inspire us, guide us, and help us to become our best selves. For me, that mentor was Victoria Thomas, my former teacher in 7th grade. Ms. Thomas not only taught me the fundamentals of writing, but she instilled in me a love for words that have stayed with me to this day.

I remember walking into Ms. Thomas' class feeling lost and disconnected from writing. I had no idea how to express myself on paper, and I had little confidence in my abilities. But Ms. Thomas saw something in me that I didn't see in myself. She encouraged me to take risks, try new things, and be creative in my writing. With her guidance, I began to see writing as a way to express my thoughts and feelings, rather than just a chore to complete.

One of the most impactful moments I had with Ms. Thomas was when she coordinated a spelling bee. I had always struggled with spelling, and I had little faith in my ability to compete. But Ms. Thomas helped me to prepare, studying with me and providing me with encouragement and support. To my surprise, I won second place in the spelling bee. It was a small victory, but it meant the world to me. It gave me a newfound confidence in my abilities and helped me to see that I could achieve great things with hard work and dedication.

Ms. Thomas is not just an exceptional teacher, but she is also a kind and compassionate person. She always made time for her students, listening to our concerns and helping us to navigate the challenges of adolescence. Her warmth and care created a classroom environment that was inclusive and welcoming to all. As a result, her classroom was a safe space where I felt supported and valued.

Ms. Thomas has had a profound impact on my life, and I know that I am not alone in feeling this way. She has touched the lives of countless students, inspiring them to pursue their passions and believe in themselves. Her dedication to education is unmatched, and her ability to connect with students is a true gift.

For these reasons and more, I wholeheartedly nominate Victoria Thomas for the Educator of the Year award. She is not just an outstanding teacher, but she is also a role model and mentor to her students. I am grateful for the impact she has had on my life, and I know that many others share my sentiment.