Mr. Lewandowski | Teen Ink

Mr. Lewandowski

By kajabrittany GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
kajabrittany GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Anything is possible, if you want it bad enough ~ Glenn Travis

The first day I met the school’s psychologist Mr. Kevin Lewandowski, I knew I would enjoy the experiences I shared with him.

I met Mr. Lew when I was a junior. I went to him with an issue at the lunch table and he shared some really good advice that consisted of “Keep your head up and shine bright.” He made it clear that if I ever needed him I could reach out. 

Fast forward to September of senior year. I got called down to the office to talk about a Snapchat post about my mental health. The post was a photo of me talking about ending my life. Mr. Lew had called my parents worried, making sure everything was okay. Ever since that day it has hit me how much help Mr. Lewandowski is. He told me how much fun life can be if I focus on the good and try to ignore the bad or the “what if” thoughts.

Every three weeks, I walk into his office and plop down at his round table filled with coloring pages and fidget toys. I always walk out of his office with a smile on my face.

I admire how Mr. Lew is able to take the time of his day to meet with students regarding issues that range from mental health, schoolwork, and the fun moments that just need to be shared with someone. He is such a hard worker and an amazing influencer. Mr. Lew treats his students like friends he has versus treating them like students he barely knows. 

He brightens my days, weeks, months, and life. He taught me how important life is and he has been in my corner cheering me on since the first day we met each other. Mr. Lew has seen how far I have come from trying to build myself up after almost taking my own life and he couldn’t be more supportive.

Since I started speaking to Mr. Lew I started using anxiety meds and I have a stronger ability to talk to those I love about any problem I face. My father has played a huge role in this, along with my older brother. I know I could call them whenever and they would pick up within five seconds to make sure I’m doing okay. Mr. Lew has provided me with the opportunity to grow these relationships outside of school so that I can say I have a really supportive family.

Mr. Lewandowski is my role model. I look up to him every day. He has such a huge impact on my life, even if it’s a simple “Hi, Brittany” in the hallway as I pass him. He always brightens my day and I’ll miss him the most when I graduate. 

Everyone in my life has seen how Mr. Lew has affected me and they couldn’t be happier. I went from being an over stressed girl with high anxiety levels, to a girl that never frowns and is happy to wake up every morning. 

Mr. Lewandowski is my hero.

Thank you Mr. Lew, I will never forget the moments I have spent with you in your office laughing and building a strong relationship.