Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By clestina BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
clestina BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Mr. Skaros

By Connor Lestina, Grade 11

Going through a seven hour school day, five days a week, for nine months a year can be a lot. Then adding a couple hours of homework to the mix can make the school year stressful. That's why having a nice, refreshing teacher everyday can feel like a breath of fresh air. And that's why I nominate Mr. Skaros for this award.

Mr. Skaros is a 10-12 grade teacher at Arrowhead High School who teaches three different Social Studies classes six times a day. He is the kind of teacher that no matter what you're planning to major in, you want to be in his class. Architects, managers, biologists, everyone wants to be in his class. The whole reason I even took his class was because someone recommended it to me.

In his three classes, (US History) (American Problems Domestic Affairs) and (American Problems Foreign Affairs) he makes every class fun and refreshing, whether it's a project or him telling us jokes–the time always flies in Skaros’s class. 

He treats every class like he's a standup comedian but sneaks some learning material into the act in a relatable way. For example, at the start of one class he starts talking about how he loves his triple decker, peanut butter and jelly ego sandwich. Yet he still ends up tying it into the WIC program.

His main goal in class is to present the facts to you and let you choose a side. Making a social studies class fun is already a challenge enough, but doing this six times a day keeping everything new and fresh divides a good teacher from a great teacher.  And that's why I nominate Mr. Skaros for the teacher of the month.