Mrs. Bogie | Teen Ink

Mrs. Bogie

March 10, 2020
By 1tp BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1tp BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Mrs. Bogie,


I am not sure if you remember me but my name is Carlos  and I was in your third-grade class in 2011. This letter is to thank you for the great things you did for me when I was going through a difficult period in my life.


Moving to a different country has been the hardest thing I have experienced and I will never forget the first year that I lived in America in your third grade class. I think back to those memories and I don’t know how I made it through such difficult moments. I was a little eight-year-old boy who did not speak English and was scared beyond words to go to school. There were days where I was so nervous I would get sick to my stomach and beg my mom to let me stay home. But the root of my fear was not just because of the language barrier, but it was also because the way of living in America was so much different than in Mexico.


You never saw me as someone who was hopeless, but you saw me as someone in need of help; you helped me persevere through my obstacles until life started to get better. The little things you did helped me and made an immense impact on my transition to a new life. 


I remember on my first day of school when you helped me find my mom who was in the office. I was so scared and nervous because I did not know where anything was in the school—but it was comforting knowing I was not alone and that there was someone who could help me. 


Having a teacher so kind and patient gave me a sense of warmth and belonging I desperately needed. I felt so isolated and alone because not only did I not know anyone but it was so hard to even be able to communicate. Every day you involved me in the class and I never realized how much that helped me. I was able to slowly start to feel less lonely and I was able to build up the confidence I lost. 


Every so often I think back to the events and people that have been in my life and how they have made me become the person I am. All of the things you did for me helped me have the confidence to be able to shape my own path.


I cannot express all of the gratitude I have towards you. What seems like so long ago still resonates with me. Having you as my teacher taught me so much about empathy and being able to help others in need. Although my transition to America was one of the hardest things that I have done, I thank you for being able to make that process easier and making a great impact on my life.