Actress Danielle Campbell | Teen Ink

Actress Danielle Campbell

June 15, 2012
By TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida
254 articles 202 photos 945 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’


Danielle Campbell has starred alongside Sterling Knight in the Disney Channel film, Starstruck. She has made appearances on television series such as Prison Break and Zeke and Luther.

More recently, she is starring alongside Tyler Perry and Eugene Levy in Madea's Witness Protection (June 29th). She will soon be making a guest appearance on Drop Dead Diva as well.

I was recently given the opportunity to interview Danielle for Teen Ink.

Rachel – Tell us a little about yourself.

Danielle Campbell – I am a seventeen year old. I live in Chicago. I just finished up my Junior year of high school. So happy! I love to travel. I like hanging out with my friends. I love to surf and I like snowboarding. I love doing outdoor-sy things. I like cars. My brother and I are really close.

And now I feel like I'm rambling. {laughs}

RH – How did you first become interested in acting?

DC – Well, I kinda fell into acting, actually. I was getting my hair cut in the city with my mom and somebody approached her and asked if it would be okay if somebody from their agency contacted us for a meeting. The next week I met with my agent and we had a great meeting. Things started going from there.

I've never really been too shy. I've always loved talking to people. I'm pretty outgoing, so I think I just fell into it. But I can't picture myself doing anything else right now. I love it!

RH – What was your favorite part of filming Starstruck?

DC – I loved the cast! I mean, Sterling and I got along really, really well. We filmed in so many different locations in California. Most of them were places I had never been before myself. So I mean it was really cool to get to see different parts of California and L.A. I don't know, it was just a really fun shoot to be on!

RH – Are you more like Jessica (Starstruck) or Simone (Prom)?

DC – Well, I do think I'm a little sassy like Jessica. But I also think I'm a pretty caring person like Simone was. She made a couple choices that she wasn't sure were the right ones, but in the end she worked it out and she went with her gut.

RH – What has been the most challenging thing you've had to do for a role so far?

DC – When I was a little bit younger and I filmed Prison Break, the situation that my family was going through was we were getting tied up. We were kidnapped by this man who had just broken out of prison. I think that was just a really dramatic role to film. When I'm playing a character, I put myself in that position. You know, that's a scary situation to be in, so I think that was probably the hardest role for me.

RH – So what is Madea's Witness Protection about?

DC – It's about a well-to-do family who gets involved with a money scandal that gets them in trouble. They have to go stay in the witness protection program and end up living in Madea's house. The family is a pretty dysfunctional family. They don't get along all that well. My character, especially, wants everyone to know that she's not happy. It's a complicated situation to be in, regardless, because no one can talk to anyone outside of their own immediate family. It's a story teaching them to come together. It's a really heartwarming film with lots of comedy!

RH – What was it like working with stars like Tyler Perry and Eugene Levy?

DC – Oh, my gosh! It was the coolest experience ever! I mean, I've grown up watching them on movies since I was so young. You know, getting to meet them and work with them and hang out with them... It was just so cool to work on!

On this film, in particular, we did a lot of improv. That was something that was more new to me. It seems like we didn't stick to the script at all! I mean, everyone was just rolling with their lines. It was so much fun!

RH – What's your favorite scene from the film?

DC – There's a scene where I get a bucket of water dumped on me. Tyler and I had a lot of fun filming that one because we were both yelling at each other and getting different reactions from each other, and of course the water gets thrown. So, it was a lot of fun to film that!

RH – What other projects are you currently working on?

DC – I'm flying out for a guest-star role on Drop Dead Diva. I think it's a really cool show, so I'm very excited about that!

Then I'm gonna be in California later this summer and audition some more, too.

RH – What advice do you have for aspiring actors?

DC – I say you have to be yourself and put yourself out there. Nobody's allowed to judge you. As long as you're yourself and [you] follow your dream, then nobody can stop you. You just have to make sure you put yourself out there.