Drive | Teen Ink

Drive

By Kira Greenberg SILVER, Kendall Park, New Jersey
Kira Greenberg SILVER, Kendall Park, New Jersey

I ask my friends what they want to be when they get older. A doctor, one says. An architect, says another. They all know what they want to do when they grow up. But I don't know what to be. Sure I have my talents. But what can I really make a living out of? When I was little I wanted to be an actress and an artist and a President and an astronaut and a princess and everything else a little girl wants to be. I dreamed all the way out to the stars and back. And now I'm older and more mature I know that sometimes to make it on earth you have to have your head in the stars. Sometimes, although it might be easier to pick the apples that are right in front of your face you have to try as hard as you can to get to highest one at the very top of the tree. You never know if you'll figure out a way to get it down. Now I have different dreams than when I was little. But it doesn't matter what I want as long as I reach as far up for it as I can. It's an amazing thing to know what you want to be when you are sixteen years old, but even if you want it, you need the drive. It doesn't matter what you want, as long as you reach for the farthest star, the highest apple, you will go far.

levine said...
on Mar. 27 2009 at 2:01 am
The thoughts and ideas are well described and easy to follow. My only criticism is that the sentence structure needs a bit of smoothing out. Otherwise, very good.

love2laugh97 said...
on Mar. 27 2009 at 12:12 am
This is amazing. i love it so much. good work kira!