My True Man | Teen Ink

My True Man

February 18, 2009
By Squeaker GOLD, Apopka, Florida
Squeaker GOLD, Apopka, Florida
17 articles 0 photos 2 comments

It was the day I got my best friend. He was perfect. Brown hair, brown eyes. Tall. Studly. I have been wishing for a friend like him for 12 years.

I will never forget that day. I woke up. It was a cool morning, but the weather man said It would be 78?. I walked outside for my morning stretch. I heard a noise not like any that I knew. Living on a ranch all my life I learned all the barks that my dogs make, and I knew who was barking.sounds of the horses. The snorts, the whinnyins, the sound of there hoofs, and which one was whose. Although I heard a noise that didn't belong. A whinnying that sounded different. One that did not belong to any horses that I knew.

It was short and high pitched like a colt or a foals whinny. I walk around the house, and followed the sound. The cool damp grass tickled my feet as I searched for the source of the sound. I turned the corner of the barn and there he was, a thoroughbred colt.

That horse looked good in blue. My mom had a blue halter an a blue lead rope on him. That first look was a start of a beautiful friendship.

I ran in the house to get dressed, so I could start working with him. I ran up to my mom which was about the dumbest thing I could do, since it spooked the colt. Gave my mom a kiss and told her THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! About a million and one times. First thing my mom asked me was what was I going to name him. I looked at him and told her ?I don?t name him he names himself.?

I grabbed him and started walking towards the round pen. So I could get him and keep him working. I need to work him on the ground before I ever thought about putting a saddle on him. I opened the gate to the round pen and undid his lead rope. Right then and there he named himself. The way he zipped through the open gate, zipping from one side of the round pen to the other. I looked at him with a big smiled and said, welcome to your new home ?Zipper?.









******

To this day Zipper an I are the best of friends. We have won several belt buckles and ribbons for barrel racing and pole bending. He is the only true man that entered my life, I said I love you to and I still mean it. I can walk to the same stall I put him in that first night, and he would be standing there waiting for me to let him out.