Equality For All | Teen Ink

Equality For All

By JaySwag GOLD, Lindenwold, New Jersey
JaySwag GOLD, Lindenwold, New Jersey

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all"

Martin Luther King Jr. believed in equality for all people. Did it matter what color of skin they had? No. He did not see race as a barrier and he longed, 'to make justice a reality for all of God's children'. When Barack Obama recited the oath of the Presidential Office, Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream became our reality. Obama called to my generation to make freedom a right for all people. I accept this challenge. I will do this by being a role model, including the marginalized, and filling myself with selflessness.

Selflessness is the exact opposite of self-centeredness. It is the ability to help others, and giving yourself, and your time to do so. This is a mandatory quality in bringing equality to all people. By being selfless I can empathize with others and learn to help them with a good heart. Even though great qualities can stem from selflessness, including outsiders is even more important.

The inclusion of those who are different than us has always been a problem. Not just for America, but for the world. I do not see financial status, weight, looks, or skin color as something meant to separate us; rather they are things that are vital to your uniqueness. Since people can only see others as a shade of color, than we must learn to become blind, and ignorant of color. Because I feel so strongly about this, I will work to the fullest of my abilities to become a role model for those who are younger than me.

Role models have been looked upon in a good fashion throughout history. Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Blessed Mother Theresa and Pope John Paul II are all examples of exceptional role models. All of these people had the qualities I listed, selflessness and the ability to include others. I too have these qualities. By no means am I placing myself in their league, however I feel that I can be a role model. This is the most significant part of bringing about equality. Being a role model does not just affect the people around you, it affects their kids, and the futures generations to come. That is what we need, a lingering and long lasting sense of equality.

Barack Obama's inaugural address kindled a flame within me, and has encouraged me to stand up and speak out against the world's injustices. We all have a voice and now it is time our voices are heard. We may be young, but we can make change and sustain equality. The time to act is now.

This piece was written for a school essay about how the Inauguration of President Barack Obama affected us, and what we can do to help bring about equality. Writen by Jay P, author and owner of Jayswag.com