Mental Illness and Humans | Teen Ink

Mental Illness and Humans

September 27, 2015
By thefelix12 GOLD, San Jacinto, California
thefelix12 GOLD, San Jacinto, California
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Human beings were basically figures brought to this earth to serve a small purpose in the Victorian Era. This impacted the way people live in a place they now called home. The cause of the mentally ill was still unknown as many people believe they had a demon in their body. When time progresses so do the mentally ill people in asylums as they endure different situations.

The disadvantages of the asylum in the Victorian Era is that many people who get involved in such place can’t really do much about it. Out of their mother’s womb and later noticing that something was wrong from their actions and thoughts they were labeled as mentally ill. Mentally ill people were unpredictable with their actions or behavior which came to the development of the asylum. Anybody that suffers some kind of head trauma will be hit with mental illness.

Just like walking through a smelly and disturbing hallway, public hospitals were free for those families unable to support but it became an overcrowded and unsanitary place for the mentally ill. Mental hospital were used to take care of those with hard lifestyles because of their condition that was barely understood at the time. In comparison, this illness became clear to few of the characters in the story which was based in the Victorian Era. It’s very common to figure out that someone unpredictable had some relations to mental illness. Sure, all the things that people say are true but the mentally ill people are still strong.