The Power of Trade | Teen Ink

The Power of Trade

By Riley15 SILVER, Rye, New York
Riley15 SILVER, Rye, New York

"Be the change you wish to see in the world..." -Gandi

The Islamic religion has dominated worldwide and after 15 centuries remains in practice in our world today. Over the years, Muslim rulers united diverse cultures such as Arab, Persian, Egyptian, African, and European and intertwined many social and economic advances. Although Islam spread because of the appeal of the message and the practice of the hajj, the main reason people in West Africa converted was because of trade.
Muhammad was a key figure in the spreading of Islam. Muhammad was born in Mecca and was the first prophet of Islam. He was responsible for uniting the Arabs under Islam. Islam is a monotheistic religion based on the Quran and the Five Pillars of Islam. For example, the fifth pillar is to make the hajj or a pilgrimage to Mecca. Islamic people believe that Muslims, Jews, and Christians worship the same God. As in Christian Europe and Hindu India, religion shaped the arts and literature of the Muslim faith. Muslims sought knowledge through centers of learning, philosophy, history, mathematics, and medicine. Agriculture continued to thrive outside major cities across a variety of environments. Muslims also believed in a certain degree of social mobility. Finally, Muslims honored merchants, as Muhammad himself was a merchant. Extensive trade led Muslims to build an international trade network selling manufactured goods generating large profits. One key factor contributing to the spread of the Islamic religion was trade and wealth.
The paramount agent in the spreading of Islam was trade. There were many trade routes in West Africa, like the one from Sijilmasa to Taghaza, Awdaghast, which led to the empire of Ghana, and another from Sijilmasa to Tuat, Gao and Timbikutu.  If one were Muslim, one would benefit from forming trade contacts and contracts along major trade routes. With trade came great wealth and economic status for Islamic people. Also, non-Muslims had to pay taxes along numerous trade routes. Muslims exported goods as well as cultural and religious concepts. The second rationale for the growth of Islam was the message of the religion: no cast system to rank citizens; the generosity and faith center to the religion; and, Islamic people were promised to go to heaven after death. The third relevant component of expansion was a requirement of the Islamic religion to complete the hajj. In the 14th century, Mansa Musa was the great emperor of the kingdom, Mali. Mansa Musa traveled from Mali to the holy city of Mecca. As a result of his long journey across the desert, people were impressed with his faith and that he had come so far just to go to the holy place. Mansa Musa was very generous and would give away gold nuggets to locals along the journey.
These religious and cultural beliefs were essential aspects in converting the people of West Africa to the Islamic religion. The Islamic religion is lenient and flexible. The provisions allowed people freedom of religion to follow their own belief systems and received protection from Muslim rulers, if one paid a poll tax. The Muslims were tolerant of diversity. Or as several West African leaders in such areas as Ghana, Mali, Songhay, and Hause, they welcomed the impact of the Muslim people.  They incorporated many of the Islamic influences into their government, education and culture. As writing, language, coinage and business emerged in Ghana it become the active center of trade. Once Ghana collapsed, the Mali Empire took over. With many potential opportunities, Mali was rife with scholars, architects, and educators who promoted the Islamic faith in their teachings. Because of this Islamic movement wealth, intellectual development and commerce expanded throughout the West African region where Islam endures today.
    Islam and Christianity are religions that have several similarities.  Both are monotheistic religions. Both religions shaped the arts and literature of their people. Among other reasons, both religions spread via trade.  Above all, Islam and Christianity are religions that have withstood the test of time.