The Day my Heart Broke in two. | Teen Ink

The Day my Heart Broke in two.

December 18, 2008
By Anonymous

The Day My Heart Was Broke In Two.

It wasn’t like him to ignore me. Everyday he had walked me to class, gave me a kiss, and waited for next period. He didn’t care if he was late. Where was he today? I haven’t seen him all day--Maybe he was sick--hopefully he was sick. Last night he sounded a little fishy, but not sick. I was on my way to math when I saw him. His red fox jacket couldn’t be missed. I knew it was him. What! why was he doing this? In history I texted him. No response. What was going on!?! He tells me everything. Why would this be any different?


November 28 I had a feeling wasn’t going to be a good day. My hair was not cooperating, I felt sick, and I didn’t have any lunch money. Plus to make matters worse my boyfriend was completely ignoring me. Everyone was also very quiet today. Kind of sorry like, as if something had happened to me, which I didn’t know about. I had a feeling it had to do with Joey. The two were definitely connected somehow. We had lunch together today. I knew it because he had art while I had science. They both have A lunch. I hope he talks to me, please talk to me.

!BEEP! That was my phone. New text. Please be from Joey. No, Derrick M.

“Hey, are you ok?” it said.

“Um ya why wouldn’t I be?” I replied.

“You didn’t hear?”

“Hear about what, im confused?:/”

“Where are you, come into the hall. I need to talk to you.”

That was in science. When I went into the hall that period I heard the news I really wished I didn’t hear. My heart stopped. I couldn’t breathe—couldn’t think. I just thought about Joey and this girl. This girl I hope I didn’t know.

How could he? How could he break what we had? This isn’t like him. He would never do that to me. This is probably a dumb rumor, stupid high school kids love to lie. I still needed to talk to him through, just to be on the safe side.

“Joey!!” I texted.

“Ya?” he responded.

“Oh hi, why have you been ignoring me all day, I just tried to find you.?”

“…”

“what is going on? Do you have something to tell me.?” My fingers trembled as I kept rewriting that text. (send)
15 minutes later I received this “I’m sorry babe, but something happened this weekend. I went to a party and there was this girl there. I did some things I shouldn’t have done. I’m sorry I know it was the wrong thing to do.”

I couldn’t stop the tears dripping from my eyes. I stopped breathing, stopped thinking. I just cried. My science teacher excused me into the hall. How could this happen, why did this have to happen to me now? Right before finals. I felt like my heart just got stabbed, 9 months—broken. There’s nothing i wanted right at that moment then to hug my best friend, and never let her go.

I can’t imagine not being with him. When I'm sad he knows exactly what to say to make me feel better. When he hugs me, I never want to let him go. I didn’t go to lunch that day. I sat in the old staff room by myself. The colorful walls and sunshine peeking through the window seemed to be smiling at me, trying to cheer me up. It wasn’t helping. I didn’t go to my next three classes. I got into my silver 2000 Honda and drove home. My mom was there and when I got inside I told her I needed to be excused, because I was sick. I knew she saw the tears in my eyes. She didn’t ask what was wrong, she just said ok and let me be to myself. I laid on my bed and cried. I didn’t care who heard, I had to let it out. My heart was broken and I was hurt but deep down I knew what I had to do.

I picked up the phone—dialed his number—and took a deep breath. If I was going to do this I needed to sound somewhat relaxed.