Thanksgiving | Teen Ink

Thanksgiving

“You’re kidding, right? I asked. My mom was officially insane.

“We’ve got to make the most out of what we have. Now, I’ll get the chips and you get the cookies,” she said, hurrying off to look for anything that’s cheap and fattening.

I took my time strolling through the grocery store, peeking down every isle. Hmm…what could pass for pumpkin pie, I thought. Barbeque chips? Too greasy. Carrots? Too healthy. The decision was hard, but I finally came across carrot cake that looked too delicious to pass up.

Next, I thought. Mashed potatoes. I quickly came across a carton of milk. Well, we needed something to drink anyways, so one down, a lot left to go.

My mom thought it was a good idea to spend Thanksgiving like crazy people, instead of the traditional way. But then again, this is the first year we’ve had Thanksgiving without my dad, ever since he died of cancer. So maybe she just doesn’t want to remember the past, so she can get on with her future.

I picked everything up that was on my half of the list and met my mom at the front of the store. Her buggy was half full with more food. We bought the food, unloaded it into the car, and took off.

So that night we ended up spending Thanksgiving eating PB