A Christmas to Remember | Teen Ink

A Christmas to Remember

By mmaaddddiiee BRONZE, O&#39fallon, Missouri
mmaaddddiiee BRONZE, O&#39fallon, Missouri

A Christmas to Remember
There wasn't much time to spare during Christmas. Everyone was running around putting up last minute decorations and wrapping the remaining presents. There was Christmas music playing in the background while Kimberly put the ham in the oven. The house quickly became filled with the smells of a perfectly cooked meal. All of the potatoes were mashed and buttered, the corn was boiled, the bread rolls were a perfect golden brown and the ham was the only thing left to finish. Kimberly happened to notice that there was no gravy for the mashed potatoes. This made her panic and gather the rest of the family in the car to go get the gravy from the only supermarket open. Before the family left, Kimberly made sure the food was properly covered so Mac, the puppy, couldn't get into it.

The supermarket was pretty much empty but Jared, Kimberly’s son, managed to find the one packet of gravy they had left. On the way back to the house, Maddie started to have an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach.

“Mom,” Maddie says to Kimberly, “Did we cover the food before we left?”

“Yes! I did.”
“I just have this feeling that Mac is doing something destructive.”
“I wouldn't doubt it. He is always into getting into trouble.”
They pulled up to the house and walked in. Mac was sound asleep and they couldn't find any evidence of destruction around the house.
Dinner was a success and everything tasted amazing. No one ended up eating the gravy but it didn't matter because everything else was perfect.
The next morning Mac seemed more tired than usual. The family opened presents anyway and continued with their day. Jared thought it would be a good idea to turn on the Christmas tree one last time. Something was off. Jared soon realized half of the lights were missing! Mac must have eaten them while the family was at the supermarket! Maddie immediately took Mac outside and had to stay out there until he popped the string of lights out.

Kimberly made an appointment for the vet and took Mac in as soon as they opened. Everything turned out fine and Mac feels way better now. This was definitely a Christmas to remember.

Hey! Im Maddie!