What “Crazy” Means to Me | Teen Ink

What “Crazy” Means to Me MAG

As I drive down West Esplanade on my way to yet another monotonous day at school, I blindly fumble with the radio in search of a station playing actual music instead of mindless chit-chat. With no luck, I lazily change my focus from the radio to the road. Then I hear it – the sweet and cheerful tune that evokes painful and heartbreaking memories.

As I pull into my usual parking spot, my heart races, my thoughts become scattered, and my breath gets labored as my mind returns to the day this song crushed my spirit. To most teens, Britney Spears’ multi-platinum hit “Crazy” evokes memories of fun times in their childhood. However, to me, this song brings back the anguish I felt one fateful day.

The day began as any other. Late, of course, I grabbed my backpack, kissed my mom good-bye, and ran to my dad’s car in hope of avoiding another tardy on my elementary school attendance record.

As I arrived at school, I was instantly infected by the excitement of the other students. Today was the annual talent show, an event everyone anticipated. I longed to participate one day, to showcase my skills for the entire school to see, and be the envy of everyone. These thoughts filled my head the entire day and made it difficult to focus. The clock ticked slowly while I listened to my teacher’s monotonous voice. My excitement grew by the second until the clock’s hand reached two, and I finally heard the sweet sound of the bell ordering students to proceed to the auditorium.

We sat in blue plastic chairs and the lights dimmed. I watched in awe as students exhibited their dancing, singing, magic, and acrobatic abilities on the brightly lit stage. Then it happened. I heard the announcer introduce Girl Scout Troop #348, who would be dancing to Britney Spears’ “Crazy.” My stomach dropped to the floor; I was in Girl Scout Troop #348. I watched in a daze from my fifth row seat as my troop performed in iridescent floral shirts, matching headbands, and black spandex pants to one of my favorite songs. As my “friends” did jazz squares, partner work, and ripples in their awkwardly choreographed dance, I tried to hold in my tears and feelings of betrayal. This, however, failed.

When the dance ended with an awe-­inspiring pose, tears streamed down my face. As the curtain closed and the lights went down ­between acts, I made my stealthy escape to the bathroom, where I could fully express my hysteria without anyone noticing.

Why wasn’t I invited to be in the act? Was there something wrong with me? Did everyone hate me? Salty tears poured from my eyes and dripped down my face. The talent show ended, and I ran out of school to avoid revealing my emotions: panic, horror, anxiety, and hurt feelings. I was devastated.

As the song ends in the car and my mind returns from the traumatizing memories evoked by “Crazy,” I get out, gather my books, walk through the double doors of the school, and trudge up the stairs. When I reach the second floor hall, I glance at my friends’ faces – some of the same friends who caused me so much pain by excluding me from what should have been a glorious moment in my elementary school career. As I prepare for the day, I think about how my friends are oblivious of how that experience made me stronger, more independent and able to speak up – all because of a mediocre talent show act in which I was in no way involved.

fashionlover16 SILVER, New Gloucester, Maine

I honestly don't know what my favorite personal quote is. I can tell u what i like, if u want that. I really like the twilight series. whenever my mom suggests that we should go shopping, i light up. I love shopping. well thats about it, byez!!!!! <3

Trust me i know how you feel. My friends once betrade me in something that I was looking forward to doing. I was all over 1 stupid fight, and thats it, u r not coming to the movies with us next week. I cried and i to went into the bathroom and cried more, thats were my friends came in and talked to me, the same friends that had banned me from coming to the movies with them. I still didnt get to go to the movies, but i felt better, that my friends came in to talk to me. If they are your true friends, they will forgive u, and u will go back to being besties. Me and my best friends have had major fights, but weve gotten through it, at times i dont know how, but still, awesome piece, as u now know, i know how u feel. Myy sympathy goes out to u, hope u and ur friends stay besties forever!! <3

Tayrodactyl PLATINUM, Palmyra, Indiana
I completely agree with undiscovergrl5.

xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

Almost cheesey, but otherwise interesting. (i mean i sympathise but it's not the most original as a writing peice)

reesha SILVER said...
on Jun. 13 2010 at 11:08 am
reesha SILVER, Rawalpindi, Other

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
Walt Disney

"Hakuna Matata!"
Lion King

"The British policy was 'unite and conquer'. But I say 'unite and conquer'."
Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea)

Making something like this a positive lesson is hard to do and I'm gad you managed to do so. Your style of writing is really good. Keep it up!

AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona

"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

I love how you made something positive out of a negative experience.  Try bringing real friends into your life!

krazykathleen BRONZE, Edwardsville, Illinois

"7/5 of all people do not understand fractions." -Unknown

Wow your writing is amazing! (Plus I love reading pieces that have no grammatical errors) :)

on Apr. 30 2010 at 9:30 am
callie2893 BRONZE, Bryant, Arkansas
I like the flashback, at first i didnt get the point but once i kept reading i could understand your pain. I felt like I was about to cry when you mentioned the memory of you crying.

Zithia PLATINUM, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"It makes no difference who or what you are, old or young, black or white, pagan, Jew, or Christian, I want to love you all and be loved by you all, and I mean to have your love." -Victoria Woodhull

I really like this!

ths made me feel like crying. I have experinced smiliar and it hurts. Keep writting stuff like this!

JessicaScaffidi SILVER, Tucson, Arizona
wow this pricked my eyes... because i know exactly how that feels... great job!

Dreamincolor16 SILVER, Sunbury, Ohio

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

~Walt Disney

I loved you're imagery. Your choice of words was great, and I really felt connected to your story. Looking on the bright side of this horrible event....now you have a great story to tell others that could encourage them :D keep it up!

Anne Powdris SILVER, --, New Jersey
Oh! How could they! My heart was actually racing as I was reading this! Such betrayal! How could you even call them friends?!

swim4ever SILVER, Carol Stream, Illinois

"you can throw in the towel or you can use it to wipe the sweat off your face"
"no one ever drown in their own sweat"

I LOVED the way you wrote this that was very ungirlscout like of them

Stina said...
on Dec. 19 2009 at 7:31 am
I know how this feels... and you have summed it up really well, great writing! You have talent :)

practicerandomkindness, Rindge, New Hampshire
I know the feeling. it really stinks.

Thunderfirst said...
on Apr. 24 2009 at 2:28 am
That totally stinks! I can understand how that would feel...I'm so sorry you had to go through that. A lot of people don't know this, but it's the simpler things like that which hurt the most.

Good writing!

Terd_Ferguson BRONZE, Pwell, Michigan
^^ Agreed. There must have been some tension at the nest girl scout meeting, I want to hear more.

Son`ador SILVER, Hamilton, Other

"We all mess up sometimes,but if we make a conscious effort to do good more times than not, we'll be doing life right."
Stephanie Perry Moore

Life sucks, and then you die!!
-Anonymous-

WoW i would liem to know if you ever ecknowledged it to your freinds who caused you that pain.

if so, what was their reply.