Loneliness in Fiction and Life | Teen Ink

Loneliness in Fiction and Life

By Preston Baum BRONZE, Ooltewah, Tennessee
Preston Baum BRONZE, Ooltewah, Tennessee

Teens are constantly feeling lonely because they are not feeling wanted, realizing they have no friends, and spending too much time by themselves. In the book " Of Mice and Men", John Steinbeck illustrates loneliness through the characters of the novel. Through out history, loneliness has taken place whether or not it's noticed. This novella was written during times of depression, self-doubt, and of course, loneliness. A prime example would include World War I; this war affected many soldiers as they were tortured, or their friends were slaughtered around them, and the horrific scenes which took place all around them. Chapter 5 of this book is quite sad; George had to kill his friend Lennie by shooting him. After murdering his best friend, George felt very sad and incomplete. He felt alone, after all his best friend is dead. During the Modern literary period that this book was written, soldeirs were losing there friends. World War I claimed thousands of thousands of lives. Fathers, sons, boyfriends, husbands, and brothers all made up these victimized soldiers. Think about all the loneliness and depression the deceased soldiers' friends,wives, sons, daughters, and parents had to go through. No matter what is happening, this sad feeling of loneliness can reach people. Teenagers are so fragile and feeling outcasted isn't hard to avoid in most circumstances unfortunately. Even though this theme is directed towards teenagers who do not feel welcomed in society, I believe anyone can benefit from this. There are ridiculous accidents all among us, this does not mean we have to feel lonely as a result. World War I, " Of Mice and Men", and teenagers all share a value in common, they deal with loneliness.