Unite Against The Offenders | Teen Ink

Unite Against The Offenders

October 29, 2008
By Paul Oliver SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts
Paul Oliver SILVER, Wilmington, Massachusetts
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Do you ever wish that you could ask what you want without being ridiculed with "Why did you ask that stupid question?" When I want to say something, sometimes nothing comes out just like a character in a horror movie who tries to scream for help. At school this happens to me a lot because there's not enough respect given to the teachers by the students, and it feels impossible to change their behavior.




For example, part of the morning routine at school is saying The Pledge of Allegiance. Most of my class says it in a dedicated way, while others say it in an I'd-rather-be-doing-something-else-way. These people don't take it seriously. They don't stop and face the Flag and say it reverently. This annoys me a lot because we should respect our Flag and pledge. For example, if you go to a sports game, and when the person sings the National Anthem everyone stands at attention and stops what they are doing. Why can't kids stop what they are doing and say the Pledge? Yet the teacher doesn't do anything, so the flag offenders continue on.


Another pet peeve of mine is when kids disobey the school dress code. A lot of boys don't wear the correct color of socks, don't wear a belt, and, most commonly, they don't tuck in their shirts when teachers tell them to. The same group of boys wears black sneakers instead of black dress shoes, probably because they think the dress shoes are not comfortable. This especially irks me because each year a rule book comes out to each student, and they have to sign their name to show their commitment. Even their parents have to sign the rule book. One rule in the book says to follow the uniform policy.


Last, but not least, have you ever taken a test or quiz, and when others are finished with it, they talk extremely loudly while you still are trying to work? If not, you're lucky because you don't have to deal with the distractions. If you do, welcome to the family. At my school, after students finish their tests, they think that they can talk as long as they want without being considerate of others still working. I'd rather see students read and study quietly instead of chit-chatting.


This disrespect probably happens at countless schools. To solve this recurring issue, teachers could unite against the offenders. This lovely idea would never happen, unless we were in a perfect world. Until then, I will try to ignore it.