Designer Babies: Is it Ethical? | Teen Ink

Designer Babies: Is it Ethical?

By Always-A-Day-Dreamer BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina
Always-A-Day-Dreamer BRONZE, Apex, North Carolina

All of the quote "weird" people are being themselves. The "normal" people are just hiding who they really are.

As genetic engineering becomes more advanced, scientist discover new ways to help benefit the human race. One of the newest and most controversial findings that has been discovered is something the public likes to call “Designer Babies”. In short, designer babies are genetically modified embryos that have certain desirable traits. If the embryo has a negative trait for inheritance that could lead to heart disease, it is possible to change that trait so that the child does not have a predisposition to that condition. The controversy in this newly discovered advancement is this: where should the line be drawn? If we can genetically change embryos to not have a disease, why not change what they look like? Why not change their sex? Why not change their personality? Why not drive for perfection? While designer babies can help rid humanity of terrible diseases, it may be unethical to have the ability to create, change and choose what a child may look like.

How it Works:

The procedure itself would be very expensive, and the technology needed for it is almost completed. Basically, a mother and father choose what traits they want their child to have or to not have. Then a doctor dissects the embryo to gather the traits that cause disease and pull them out. They can also replace the traits that the parents do not want in their child with traits that they prefer.

The Benefits:

Genetically modifying embryos can make all future children stronger and healthier than any naturally created child. This means that the world could get rid of certain genetically linked diseases. Diseases like Sickle Cell Anemia, Cystic Fibrosis or even baldness could be rewired so that the child does not receive these hereditary problems. This can also mean that the child could become stronger, faster, tougher, and smarter that normal humans. Genetically modifying embryos, if done correctly, could eliminate age barriers, and allow humans to live much longer. Lifespans of the body's cells could be lengthened, and regeneration of those cells could be stretched by a few years.

In theory, parents could also make their child look any way they wanted it to, which could be a good thing in some people's eyes. This basically means that the things some people find ugly could be changed. This includes things such as abnormally large or small ears, eyes, and nose. Eye color and hair color could be changed. Parents could even choose what gender they want their child to be.

The Negatives:

Along with these positives, there are many of negatives to “Designer Babies”. Not only are there physical issues that could come from designer babies but there are some moral issues that could arise.

A mother and father choose to have a daughter who has light hair and skin with green eyes. They have their embryo genetically modified, but then, things might not turn out as desired. The genetic engineers might change a different trait than what was asked for. Those that do not meet the parent's specifications get thrown out. However, some of these traits are not detectable until after the child is born, and they have to grow with a genetical defect.

Another thing that parents can do to their embryo is, instead of ridding it of certain diseases, they can actually do the opposite. Parents that have certain disabilities, such as deafness or colorblindness, might believe that it is what makes them who they are, and want their child to have the same disability. This raises the question that asks: Should we be allowed to give our children disabilities because of our own preferences?

If parents are allowed to change their children's sex and looks, how can they be stopped from misusing this technology? If treatment becomes available in places such as China or India where sons are preferable, then there would be a severe imbalance inbetween genders. If every family were to be given the son(s) that they want, the population would eventually die out because of the lack of females. Although, this is a hard topic to explain to an entire society who believes the more sons that one has in a family, the more pride they have.

Lastly, creating genetically modified humans could alter evolution in ways unknown to humans. Humans have evolved over millions of years to the way that they are now. Humans have become so diverse and genetically different that creating a plethora of humans almost genetically the same could cause problems if, for example, a plague or natural disaster occurs. The genetically modified children would have the same faults, and be easily wiped out.

Are the Benefits Worth the Negatives?

If genetically modifying embryos becomes legal, and limitation are set, that still won't protect humans from all the negative possibilities. Certain countries might not keep as tight of restrictions as other countries. Even if all countries do have stringent laws on “Designer Babies”, that does not stop things such as underground procedures. It could become something such as drug dealing or illegal gun owning. While it's still against the law, if the means and technology are available, it's going to be misused. While ending horrible genetic diseases in children is an incredible feat, there is just so much that could go awry. Genetically modified embryos should be looked at as a last resort in medicine, and should not be used for any frivolous cosmetic desires.

When I wrote this paper, at fist, it was for a school report. Then, I got deeper into it, and realized what a great topic it was to discuss.