Stranded | Teen Ink

Stranded

Stranded

“Wait! Wait! Come back!” said Murphy.
“They’re never going to hear you,” said Fred.
“They will be passing by hear four days from now, so we will have to survive till then,” he said again.
“Well can’t we just take the jet skis back and try to catch them?” said Gintas.
“No, we’ll run out of gas and then we will be out on the water.” I said.
So we went off trying to look for firewood and such to make a camp. We had to make a decent camp because we would be here for a few days, or at least till a ship goes by. With that in mind we all went out looking for different things each of us had to get; Murphy went out looking for firewood and logs for a raft, Gintas went out looking for things to make a canopy with for the camp, and I went out looking for some type of food. After awhile as we all met up on the shore we all told each other what we found.
“I found a whole area where there a huge logs, but I am going to need help getting them here,” Murphy stated.
“Yeah we’ll help you out,” We all said.
“I also found an area where there are many ferns and large leaves to use as a top for a hut that we can make,” Gintas said.
“Well I really didn’t see any tracks of any kind and nothing living on the trees, we might just be having fish for a few days.” I said
We went off to go help Murphy get his firewood which was actually a good amount of wood, I was thinking it might last us the full four days. We were all hanging around listen to the ocean and looking at the water to see if we might be able to see some fish to catch, but we didn’t. Slowly the night was approaching with a nice sunset of fluorescent colors, so I naturally figured that it was going to be a nice night. But was mistaken it rained all night long with extreme winds, thunder and lightning that lit up the Caribbean sky. As a group we were struggling to keep our hut together, let alone keeping the fire going, that both took us about the full day to get together and get ready. This night was extremely long in the sense we were fighting to survive through this storm. Finally the early morning sun arose and the island was destroyed; trees were down everywhere, our jet skis were gone, and brush was all over the beach. We spent most of the day in groups of two switching off of fixing the hut and cleaning the beach around the camp, because it was brutally hot out and we needed to rest. The only good thing to come out of this was that there were a lot of fish in the tide pools for us to eat. Now we had to find about ten large tree trunks to build a raft, so we would be able to float out into the ocean and try to show the ship where we are. I was thinking that we would layer five trunks horizontally and five trunks vertically, this would make a good sized base to hold the four of us above the water. I sent Murphy and Fred to go find five tree trunks that were a good size, and then we will all go to where the logs were so we could make the raft. It was almost night fall by the time we got all of the ten tree trunks to the campsite; it took so long we didn’t even have time to get a fire going. I was scrambling around looking for good tinder and kindling to start the fire, by the time I started working on lighting the fire it was already night fall. It probably took me more than an hour to get the fire started but when I did it didn’t even matter if the wood was wet because the fire was roaring. We actually got some sleep the second night and into the beginning of the third day, which was pretty nice compared to sleeping an hour or two. On the third day we were working on making the raft to get out into the ocean about a quarter mile. We bound the trunks of the trees with strands made from shirts which seemed to work decently but not as good as rope would have. We also interwove small branches between the gaps that also helped the structural capabilities of the raft. We tried to put the raft into the water just by pushing it from the edge of the tree line to the water. This didn’t work out to well, the ten tree trunks has to weigh about 500 pounds, which meant us four guys that are sixteen or so don’t have a chance at trying to move it on the sand. We were all huddled around the fire trying to think of a way to get the raft from the tree line to the water, which was about thirty feet.
“I got it!” said Gintas.
“What’s you idea?” said Fred.
“We get two more tree trunks and line them up apart from each other like a ramp and slide the raft across them,” Said Gintas.
“Ok that might actually work, we need large tree trunks, and an easy way to make the raft slide along them,” I said.
“Well let’s start with getting the tree trunks first.” Said Murphy
“Ok Fred and I will go get one and you and Gintas go get the other.” I said
We split up looking for good tree trunks to put down to slide the raft on, Fred and i found a great coconut tree that was about forty feet long. So we each got on the one end and dragged it to the campsite. Mean while Gintas and Murphy found almost the same type of tree to make a ramp, which I think will end up working great. Though we had the great tree trunks we still didn’t know how to transform them into a ramp. But I was thinking that we just get the logs soak them with water and sprinkle sand on them, it might make them more slippery. It was approaching the night and again it looked like it was going to be a nice night, even though there were a few clouds. It drizzled all night long which wasn’t too bad because there wasn’t much wind but it was still kind of cold. This rain helped our plan to slide the raft by soaking out tree trunks that we left on the beach. So we were so happy with that idea we got started right away.
“Ok well we all need to get on one side and lift the raft!” I said.
“Sounds good it might actually be very easy,” Said Gintas.
We were mistaken, that raft was extraordinarily heavy, which means we have to dig under the raft to put on top of them. This was possibly the most annoying thing in the world; we dug for about three hours in the morning. I estimated that it was about 10 o’clock by the time we got under the raft to tip it onto the ramp of trees. We only had two hours before the ship would be passing by so we needed to hurry up. Once we got the raft on the logs it was pretty easy to push it to the water, the sand and water acted like ball bearings so the raft ended up sliding over them fairly easily. The worst part had come; once the raft it the water it could only hold up two people so Fred and Gintas went on the raft to get the attention of the ship, while Murphy and I stayed back. I’m not really sure what happened between the ship and the raft but they said a jet skier saw them and told the people on the ship. They ended up sending a rescue boat over to the island to pick up Murphy and I, we were safe from then on. We got to finally have some food and water, which was heaven, we finally got to take showers and get the disgusting salt water off of our selves. We found out that our families were looking for us the whole four days, which was kind of nice to know. So we arrived to the harbor and all said good bye, and we knew that we would never see each other again but we would remember our journey together forever.