Don’t Be Such a Worry Wart! | Teen Ink

Don’t Be Such a Worry Wart!

By AshleyDanielle BRONZE, Bedford, Kentucky
AshleyDanielle BRONZE, Bedford, Kentucky

We make our choices then our choices make us :P

What is worry? That would seem like a stupid question to a lot of people. Worrying is something that is not discussed a lot but really needs to be considered as a serious topic. One way to think of worry is to feel concerned about something. If you think of worry in this way, it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal, does it? Another way to think of worry is to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts. If you think of worry in this more in-dept thought, then it seems like a more serious problem.

People in general have a lot of worries each and every day. Some can just be simple worries and some can be (as some may put it,) complicated. So let’s get down to it. Why do people worry? Some would say people worry because you simply get it passed down from your parents. Some would say people worry because they focus on the worst possible outcomes of the situation instead of the good outcomes.

We all worry. It’s just human to worry, but something that needs to happen is that people need to decrease their worrying. According to ctcli.com, there is a ton of ways to deal with your worrying. Distracting yourself from your worries will not solve what causes the worries. Instead, you need to confront it. Something else that helps is a way stated by Cheryl Washington. “The best way to deal with your worries is to focus on them and learn to analyze the accuracy of your thinking.” This basically means that the thoughts connected with worry are unlikely to happen. Also, teach yourself to be more practical. You will find that many worries aren’t as bad as you originally thought. Cheryl Washington’s statement also backs up her 3 step Logical Analysis (cognitive therapy.) Steps are listed as follows.
1.
Since we are unaware of what we are thinking, write down your thought that go through mind when worrying. Be specific.
2.
Examine how realistic your thought is.
3.
Come up with a new thought (rational response) more realistic than the original thought.
All of these ways will help decrease your worry. If you catch yourself worrying about something, try some of these simple, yet practical ways.

A lot of people are always wondering if worrying was a good or bad thing, or if it even mattered. Well, it depends on the different situations. According to stresscure.com some are called productive worries (good) and the others non-productive (bad). Productive worries are a method to resolve problems or prepare for a future event. For example, worrying about a test will cause you to study. Non-productive worries are when the worry is accepted as a replacement for taking action. People who do nothing but worry about the problem will please themselves by saying “Well, at least I’m doing something about my problems” When they say they’re doing something, that “something” is worrying. A productive worrier is the best type of worrying.

I, being a teen Christian, along with other Christians and people, worry all the time and a lot of times I don’t even realize that I’m worrying and freaking out until the situation is all over with. I worry that when the teacher hands me my test my mind will just go blank. I worry that I’m not going to make the free throw that could win the game. I worry that I’m not going to make a hard, accurate pass to first base to get that third “You are out!” We worry all the time. Something that I wish I could see happen with people, along with myself, is not even worry to begin with. Trust God and let him lead you to the right direction. In the Holy Bible it tells you every where to put your problems in Gods hands and let him deal with them the way He wants them to be dealt with. Just a few examples are:

Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. (Philippians 4:6-7)

“I tell you not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear…. Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? Don’t worry about such things. These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need.” (Luke 12:22-31) Even if we’re cold and starving, intended to die, God gives us what we need: life that never ends.

“The battle is not yours, but God’s.” (2 Chronicles 20:15) This is repeated throughout the Bible and they relate to all of life’s battles, like worrying, for those of us who live for God.
These are just a few of specific examples throughout the Bible that stand out to me.

So now you know what, specifically, worry is, why people worry, if worry is good or bad and the different types of worry, and you now how to decrease your worry. I really do think worrying is a topic that is very serious that never gets discussed. I hope with people reading this, they will take it more seriously and actually think about the disadvantages or possibly the advantages of worrying. Don’t be such a worry wart!!!