Monsters in Tiaras | Teen Ink

Monsters in Tiaras

By JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia
JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

“Contestant 34…” A girl with blond ringlets struts out clutching a sparkling cape concealing her whole body. As she walks she swivels her hips and extends her cape like an eagle would extend its wings. She sheds it exposing a very bikini-like outfit with exotic faux feathers puffing out from her bootie. After wiggling her butt and winking at the judges she struts off the stage. Sounds like a normal pageant, right? Then I probably forgot to mention that the girl under all that make-up and glam is a 3 year-old.

Child pageants have become more popular, and even have their own hit reality show known as “Toddlers in Tiaras,” there are kids younger than 3 who sit through the monstrous transformation, and the whole industry makes a 5 billion dollar profit from it! Here’s why: Entry fees can cost up to 400 dollars, there are $50 professional coaching lessons, a single “glitz” dress can be $4000, and each costume has an average of $300-$500. Now add the cost of flippers (false teeth), hair pieces, make-up, hair stylist, manicures, spray tans, shoes, and props, the list goes on. Now multiply the total of all that by the 100’s of 1000’s of parents who apply their little girls to this.

So the chances of winning are pretty slim, but you know what’s a million times a billion times worse than losing? It’s the moral consequences. You are basically teaching your 3 year-old that “beautiful” means big puffy (revealing) dresses, piles of fake hair, and so much make-up that you give the “I’m-a-clown” impression. 3 year-olds should be out socializing with other kids, and not caring what they look like. They should not be spending their free time going through a MAJOR make-over, and practicing routines. These pageants also create bad attitudes for example: “I think I’m prettier than all the other girls!”

Eventually these pageant kids will retire from the whole industry, but for them the pageant never seems to end. A study conducted in 2005 revealed that pageant kids are more prone to body dissatisfaction; trust issues, impulsive behaviors, and increased feelings of ineffectiveness. Is it worth all your money if your child will most likely experience low self-esteem?

So why do we continue this sick game? Wouldn’t be much better if we buy a cheap Cinderella dress and a $1-$2 plastic tiara? Then your little girl could play princess in a healthier and more appropriate way.

I watched the show and I was disgusted. To me 3 year-olds in natural beauty pageant are alright, I do not mean to offend anyone. Please comment. :)

nimuengale GOLD, Carbondale, Illinois

"GRRRAARRRGGHHH"- Chewbacca

"but you know what’s a million times a billion times worse than losing". Revise that line. It sounds weird.

But up to that (and after), this was fantastic and extremely informative. I have totally ignored the TV show in the past but I've always thought the mothers who do that to their children are monsters. I didn't know about all the negative affects on those girls until I read this. 

Very good. And I love the opening. =)

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

Thank you soooooo much for  reading!!!!!!! :D

1224L0v3 SILVER, Richmond, California
Well duh!!! This is the perfect example of a writer!!! I totally agree with you!!! This was perfect.