4 letters | Teen Ink

4 letters

January 19, 2011
By IK2011 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
IK2011 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

R-A-C-E. Race. A word with 4 letters. A simple word. But, it is a word filled with notions of discrimination, torture, and genocide. Why?

Science points to the fact that humanity started with either 1 or 2 people. Logic and common sense points to the fact that everyone’s roots connect to one another. That means 1 thing: Despite appearances, we are all either a brother, sister, cousin, aunt, uncle, or grandparent of each other.

Why? Then, why? Why do people hate people just because their skin is darker or lighter, when they have never set eyes on the other? Would hate your father just because he’s black and your not? Why do people hate people just because they are not of the same country? Would you hate your mother just because she is from another country, a foreigner?

If you were blind, then would you be racist? Would anyone be racist if humans were born blind, not gifted with sight? Would we be better off if we couldn’t hear the seductive voices of others? Being deaf? Would it be better for everyone if we couldn’t speak out racist poison, being dumb?

Race- it is just a statistical label. Not Important. Only to those who care about nothing except classifying and statistics. It shouldn’t be important. But it is important. Why? Why is it so powerful when it shouldn’t be? Families have been separated because of race. Why? Friends have fallen apart because of race. Why? Wars have been fought because of race. Why? People, innocent lives, have been killed because of race. Why? Children have been mentally and physically tortured because of race. Why? Why? Why?

Segregation. Separation of black and white. Why? Why separate 2 groups of people just because 1 group has lighter skin and the other darker? Post 9/11. Discrimination of Arabs and Muslims. Why? Why hate an entire group of people just because only a couple of them have hurt you in some way? Isn’t that like hating all of your cousins just because one of them destroyed your sand castle? Ku Klux Klan. Neo-Nazis. Both wanting a “Pure” or “White” America. Groups wanting to kick out honest citizens just because they didn’t come to America at the beginning. Why? Why kick out people who have made a living on this soil, who are successful, and have not harmed people in any way? Isn’t that similar to kicking out all of the families in your neighborhood just because they aren’t the original families?

Ku Klux Klan’s “reason”- or excuse- foreigners have to be kicked out because they are ruining our country. They are making the economy worse. Is that really the case? When the sea ruins your sand castle, will you blame it on your cousin, who is nearby and has done nothing to hurt it? Is someone always at fault when something bad happens to you? Not to me. Foreigners are actually the majority of the U.S population. Would you want to kick out every single person in the country just because your life has become worse? Why would you?

Then, why? Why are we so cruel?


The author's comments:
By reading this piece, I hope people won't judge people before they have actually met them. That they won't judge them by the reputation of their nationality, or race, but by the actions of the person in particular.