Letters to America | Teen Ink

Letters to America

By EliJLives BRONZE, Astoria, New York
EliJLives BRONZE, Astoria, New York

Dear America,
I am a kid, a teenager. I am transgender, I have friends that are gay, bisexual, lesbian, transgender, genderqueer, pansexual, straight, queer, and questioning. I know people who are for abortion, and against it. I am friends with democrats and republicans. I have friends who are Asian, African American, White, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist, and Christian. I don’t get into physical fights, I don’t get drunk every weekend. I don’t get high every day.

I want everyone to agree. I want everyone to live in peace. I want to have equal rights as every other American citizen. I want to be able to get the same education as other kids without having to go to school scared every day. Scared of what other kids might do to me. I want to see less of the news reports telling me about another youth suicide because of bullying. I want to see less of the news reports on bombings, hate crimes, and soldiers dying in war.

I know I’m asking for a lot, but it’s not just in my best interest. I’m writing this for every single child in America. I’m writing this for children and teens who are being bullied for their colour, or religion, or gender, or who they love. I’m writing this for those LGBTQQI children and teens scared of bullying and coming out to their friends and families. I’m writing this for the children who have seen nothing but abuse all of their lives, the children living on the streets begging for food and money. I’m writing this for the Jewish kid in high school who’s made fun of for his religion, but still remains proud because his grandparents survived the holocaust. I write this for the two women who want to get married, the man who can now serve in the army regardless of who he loves. This is for us.