The Love of My Life | Teen Ink

The Love of My Life

One of my really close friends, Krissy, invited me to go to the circus with her and her family. Not knowing that storms were approaching the area, I quickly accepted her invitation. Mostly, I really wanted to go and spend time with my best friend Weldon; he was going to meet me and Krissy at the circus. It seemed as if it were going to be the best night of my life, but it quickly turned into a nightmare.

After arriving at the circus with Krissy and her family, we quickly made our way inside to acquire our seats. Krissy and I soon began to get impatient waiting on the show to begin, so we decided to walk outside and wait for Weldon to arrive. After standing outside gossiping for a few minutes, we started to feel raindrops; Weldon arrived just in time for us to get back under the tent before the rain began to pour. Within five minutes of getting to our seats, the show began.

Everything seemed perfect! I was at the circus holding hands with my best friend and the show was wonderful! I couldn’t believe my eyes when the acrobats gracefully walked across a thin rope in the air. I mostly enjoyed watching a little dog balance on a pony’s back while the pony walked around in circles. The dog never even fell off; it was incredible! But after intermission, everything suddenly changed.

The rain started pounding harder against the roof! Thunder started shaking the ground! Lightning seemed to be coming from all directions; it was nearly as bright as if it were daylight outside. Tears instantly sprang to my eyes! I once caught myself silently praying, “Please Lord let me give my family one more hug before you take me.” I was terrified. Finally, a gentleman came to the microphone and said, “Due to the weather, the health department has commanded us to end the show immediately. Go quickly to your vehicles and get home as soon as possible.” Weldon grabbed my hand and whispered, “It’s going to be okay.” Walking through the mud, to get to the car, was a difficult task, but we eventually got through it. By the time we got to the car, everyone was completely soaked. I was shaking uncontrollably; you could hear my teeth chattering. With Weldon’s hand in mine, I laid my head against his shoulder and cried. I didn’t think I was going to live to see the next day. Within five minutes after dropping Weldon off at his house, we arrived at Krissy’s house; we all quickly ran inside and changed into dry clothes.

Even though I can’t believe I made it out of that storm alive, I realized how deep my love is for Weldon. He’s been my best friend for nearly a year now and I wouldn’t change that for anything. I can’t imagine life without my best friend: the love of my life.