Don't Judge | Teen Ink

Don't Judge

December 17, 2007
By Anonymous

You know what they say, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” For me, that couldn’t be anymore true. That’s why I believe that judging people at first glance could be awfully wrong.

Well, one reason why is that one year, while I was still in elementary school, I was going through things that I don’t wanna talk bout right now. And there was just one guy who just made my life worse, whether I knew it or not! I still remember that year, or years, I’m not 100% sure. Anyways, I remember what mostly happened. Every single day, this one kid, just one kid, would always mock me at the beginning and till the end of the year. Then others caught the trend it seemed like. But it was always him, he alwaysed called me words that I were offended by. Especially the word fat. Now, I’ll admit, I now I am bigger then some people, but that’s not the point. And he just had to remind me of that everyday. And he continued with it non-freakin-stop! My mom even had to come and tell the teachers. It was like he would stop at nothing to make my life a living nightmare!! And during all this, I just felt so terrible bout my self, and just cause of him, I felt like I didn’t have any friends cause they were just going with the flow! Oh sure, I had friends, but not very good ones. So just cause of him, I felt bad. And I know it can really hurt others!

Now though, I have more friends than I ever had! And one of them I met a couple years ago. Ok, so, I’m going to an after school art class thing and I had to ride the bus to there. When I got on the bus I found one of my friends, and someone else. She was alone, and she kinda looked crazy and depressed. I asked her if I could sit with her, and she said “NO!” I was like “Whoa, ok crouch!” I though I wouldn’t like her cause of that. But, actually, she turned out to be really fun and cool. Now, few years later, she’s one of my best friends! So, looks don’t really tell much about a person.

Speaking bout looks, another experience I had was when I started my first day of work. Around, late August, so round 4 or 5 months ago. I knew other people would be there that I had no clue bout! And especially this one girl who was our supervisor for the day. She seemed just a little different. She didn’t have any major disabilities, and was not at all mental. But she had a hearing aid and her speech was kinda slurred, I might say. And so, all I thought was, “Is there something wrong?......” Not out loud of course. But it turned out nothing was really wrong with her, she was just herself! And she turned out to be really nice and funny!

So, yeah, basically judging others is bad in my opinion. With this, I have learned not to judge others just because they are different, look odd, or just don’t seem all that great. By doing that I don’t feel so bad and the guilty conscious doesn’t fly round my head! And I have gained a friend from it!