Nightmares | Teen Ink

Nightmares

It was dark outside, and I had just gotten off the bus. Normally, I wouldn’t mind the mile walk to my house, but there was something different about tonight. I started walking down the lonely street, cold and rainy. Paranoia came over me. My muscles tensed and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Someone was following me. I looked behind me, but no one was there. My feet moved quickly, as if I was tripping, dying to get home. My feet slowed down and my body started to relax, when I heard a crack behind me, like someone had broken a branch. I quickly turned around, just in time to see something go behind a tree. I started to run, my arms pumped back and forth, I wasn’t going to stop until I got home.
I turned the corner and heard heavy foot steps running after me. The loud thumps became louder as they came near. I was scared and my breathing was becoming heavy. I knew that I had to keep running, but I didn’t know how long I could. By now, I was on my street and I thought that I was safe, but the foot steps got louder and faster. I tried to scream, but nothing came out, a weird gargle noise came out of my throat. I looked behind me to see how close the footsteps were to me, big mistake. I slipped my legs came out from under me, bent, and fell forward on my face. I flipped over on my back to see the person, who was two feet away from me. He got closer to me, and in no time he was standing right next to me.
Just as he was about to say something, I shot up in bed. I looked around and saw that I was in my room. I sighed, realizing that it was only a dream.