Dreaming | Teen Ink

Dreaming

April 4, 2010
By Megan Fu BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
Megan Fu BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
2 articles 9 photos 3 comments

Dreaming is a funny thing. It is something that one can only describe the personal perspective of. There is the kind of dream where waking up seems like the worst possible event that could happen because what is occurring in your dream is so much more like what you want your real life to be like, and the thought and action of waking up just saddens you. Then there is the type of dream where you’re falling so fast you get this sensation as if nothing can touch you, and you feel like everything’s about to end, it is all over. You are forced to ask yourself, is this all for the better? Then suddenly you wake before you hit the ground. How about when you’re dream seems so much like reality that when you are awake you can’t separate the events that happened in your dream from the ones that happened just the day before. It all slowly becomes a blur and the line between fantasy and reality slowly disappears.
The nightmare; the dreaded of all nighttime getaways. This is where all your fears slowly come to have a sense of life to them. They haunt you in your dreams. They are what keep you awake at night just lying under the sheets unable to close your eyes without seeing whatever this fear may be. Then the day after you experience a nightmare you seem so foolish for being afraid but underneath it all you’re still frightened for the night to come. The dreams that tend to truly stay with me are the ones where I wake up crying and unaware. Due to some horrific event that had happened in my dream, something that in a strange way seemed so real at the time that I can’t hold back waking up with tears slowly streaming down my face. I don’t cry often, it is unlike me. But the things I fear most are not the ones in my nightmares they are the ones in my dreams. The ones that have a direct connection to something that had happened in my life, those are the dreams that get to me the most. I can get over the clowns and the monsters, or the seemingly silly things like that. But the losing of a loved one, or seeing a friend in a great deal of sorrow, I cannot handle that sort of pain.