White House to ponder holding the 9/11 trials in a military tribunal court | Teen Ink

White House to ponder holding the 9/11 trials in a military tribunal court

March 15, 2010
By ePosh SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
ePosh SILVER, Roslyn Heights, New York
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

WASHINGTON- White House officials are now in favor of recommending alleged master mind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and other 9/11 attackers, for a trial in a military tribunal court after recent opposition from Republicans and New York Officials.

Back in November U.S. attorney general Eric Holder told reporters that he had planned to try alleged 9/11 attackers in a civilian court, saying "The alleged 9/11 conspirators will stand trial in our justice system before an impartial jury under long-established rules and procedures.".

The civilian trials, which were supposed to be held just blocks away from the World Trade center site in lower Manhattan, would cost the city 200 million dollars per year. Along with the money, New York police would have to also make 2,000 checkpoints in lower Manhattan.

After Holder’s announcement New York City officials and Republicans publically opposed Holder’s decision. Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman (Republican) said to try the alleged attackers "as common criminals, giving them the constitutional rights of American citizens in our courts, is justice according to 'Alice in Wonderland,”.

With the recent public addresses made out against Obama’s original decision to hold the 9/11 trials in New York, President Obama and his administration are now considering reversing its decision to try Mohammed and four others accused of plotting the 9/11 attacks. If the reversal is made the new trial would be held in a military tribunal either in Guantanamo Bay or at a military base in the U.S.

After the Obama administration made an announcement that they will consider a reversal of the original lower Manhattan site for the 9/11 trial, Anthony Romero, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, said, "If this stunning reversal comes to pass, President Obama will deal a death blow to his own Justice Department, not to mention American values,".


Although the Obama administration has said that it will reach a decision shortly on the 9/11 trials, many speculate that it could take weeks before a final decision on the trials is made.