Winter Watches & Weather | Teen Ink

Winter Watches & Weather MAG

Here, courtesy of the National Weather Service (NWS) in Boston, are a few definitions of winter watches and warnings.

Winter Storm Watch - Heavy snow or snow and strong winds are expected within 36 hours. 6 inches or more is possible.

Winter Storm Warning - When the above are LIKELY in 12 hours or less.

Blizzard Warning - When a combination of strong winds, cold temps and heavy falling or drifting snow is expected to last for many hours.

(Flash) Flood Watch - When flooding of roadways, low spots and places near rivers is possible. Flash flooding means sudden and without warning.

(Flash) Flood Warning - When flooding is occurring in your county.

Snow Advisory - 2 to 6 inches of snow in 12 hours is expected.

Freezing Rain/Drizzle Advisory - When glaze will make surfaces dangerously slippery. Tree branches/power lines may break.

Wind Chill Advisory - Strong winds and cold temps will make it feel like -30EF or lower and people should be alert to frost bite.

Dense Fog Advisory - Fog is expected to make visibility 1/4 mile or less for several hours.

Winter Weather Advisory - When several aspects of winter are expected to converge on us at the same time.

Basically, warnings are most serious, then watches, then advisories. But to put it simply, if you don't feel like going out in it, don't. Stay home, listen to the radio like I do, unless someone threatens to tie you to the front of a snowplow! e