The Calming of Chaos {Writer's Block} | Teen Ink

The Calming of Chaos {Writer's Block}

By write4life GOLD, Macon, Georgia
write4life GOLD, Macon, Georgia

a blank page rests before me. i am anxious to fill it with the emotions that wrestle within me, each attempting to control my mood and my mind. i have no idea how to translate those emotions into words. my feelings come and go as the tides; my thoughts scramble through my head, each fighting to be the one whose voice is heard.

in my rush to pen all that i think and feel before my train of thought flutters away with the wind, i often fail to acknowledge the softest voice, the thought that would benefit me the most:
--"Slow down. Relax. Breathe."--

so this time, i decide to try a different approach to my writing. i listen to that quiet, but always-present voice. i cap my pen and let it rest on my ever-impatient notebook.
i close my eyes, relax.
i breathe.

{and i surrender to the chaos floating inside of me.}

this time, instead of chasing my emotions with a butterfly net, i let them roam free. i watch their colorful wings spread as they fly into worlds unknown, pushing their boundaries, discovering what they had only dreamt of before. i can taste their excitement, sweeter than honey on my tongue. i hear them laughing contentedly as they dance through fields of wildflowers toward the rising sun on the horizon.
~and for once, i am not scared to lose them.~

i let them wander as long and as far as they like, because i know that when they are ready to finally be at peace,

One day I sat down with my notebook with the intent of writing, but no ideas came to me. So I ended up writing about not knowing what to write about :)