The Effect of Social Media on Adolescents | Teen Ink

The Effect of Social Media on Adolescents

By IsabellaMK BRONZE, Clayton, Missouri
IsabellaMK BRONZE, Clayton, Missouri

In a recent research study, it was discovered that teenagers in the United States, aged 12 to 15, who spend over three hours daily on social media, face twice the risk of negative mental health outcomes, including symptoms of depression and anxiety. This article dives into the influence of social media on teenagers, exploring its various problems and proposing potential solutions to address the associated challenges.

Recent studies conducted by the Pew Research Center indicate that social media use among teenagers is nearly universal, contributing to rising concerns about addiction, mental wellness issues, and depression symptoms. Popular platforms like TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat, and YouTube have become integral to teenagers' daily lives. In 2022, a survey revealed that a staggering 95% of teenagers, aged 13 to 17, reported using social media, with over a third engaging in near-constant use. Alarmingly, even children aged 8 to 12 have embraced these platforms, with 40% actively participating. Globally, the number of social media users in 2023 reached 4.950 billion, marking a significant 7% year-on-year increase. These high rates of social media engagement among teenagers correlate with large quantities of negative consequences, from cyberbullying to severe mental health issues. One particularly concerning aspect of excessive social media use is the potential for misinformation, as Dr. Mayes from the Yale School of Medicine warns us about the risks associated with searching for mental health conditions online. 

The negative consequences of excessive social media use are numerous, ranging from cyberbullying and body image issues to eating disorders, depression, anxiety, isolation, addiction, and loneliness. “If a teen searches for any kind of mental health condition, such as depression or suicide, it's going to feed them information about those things, so soon they may begin to think that everyone around them is depressed or thinking about suicide, which is not necessarily good for mental health,” Dr. Mayes from the Yale School of Medicine emphasizes the risk of misinformation on mental health conditions, cautioning that excessive exposure can lead teenagers to believe that everyone around them is struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts. Teenagers can access extreme and harmful content, and deaths have been linked to suicide and self-harm-related content, like cutting, partial asphyxiation, and risk-taking challenges on social media platforms. Studies have found that discussing, showing, and viewing this can normalize these behaviors. Moving from misinformation, let's explore another dark side of social media — the prevalence of cyberbullying and its profound impact on the mental well-being of adolescents.

The privilege of posting content, commenting, and messaging on social media comes with a dark side as teenagers often engage in trolling and bullying.  Users of these platforms can freely like and comment on posts as well as share them without any restrictions, but now, teenagers frequently post insulting remarks on social media platforms. Adolescents frequently engage in trolling for amusement without recognizing the potentially harmful consequences. Defined as "posting or commenting online to deliberately upset others," trolling focuses on body shaming, individual abilities, language, and lifestyle. The children who receive these comments are hurt and often end up feeling as if they are outcasts, and no one likes them. The consequences of this are severe, with nearly 42% of kids experiencing online bullying, leading to anxiety, depressive symptoms, stress, feelings of isolation, and even suicidal thoughts, according to the city of Annapolis. While cyberbullying poses significant threats, the addictive nature of social media platforms adds another layer of complexity to the challenges faced by today's teenagers.

A concerning aspect of social media is addiction. Technology addiction is a serious issue that affects countless teenagers. On platforms such as TikTok, Instagram, and Youtube, the “infinite scroll” sucks you down a rabbit hole and results in spending hours on your phone. The “infinite scroll” is an interaction design pattern in which a page loads content as the user scrolls down, allowing the user to explore a large amount of content with no distinct end. It’s that rush that keeps you scrolling through the content. It’s the same as any addiction, be it drugs, alcohol, or gambling. One post leads to another, leading to an addiction-like cycle where users are hooked on the continuous flow. Around half of teens in the United States report being addicted to their phones, and spend an average of about 7 to 9 hours on screens daily, according to Evolve Treatment. Once someone gets hooked on social media, it can be hard to get rid of it. Instead of having an “infinite scroll” feature, social media platforms could incorporate a certain amount of posts, and when you reach the maximum amount, there could be a message stopping you from scrolling. This could drastically drop the percentage of teenagers who have an addiction to social media, for the feature could stop them, and remind them that they are living a real life, not a virtual life. 

As the prevalence of social media continues to grow, understanding its impact on teenagers' mental and physical health is crucial. Platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and YouTube cause many obstructive problems in an adolescent’s brain, and we need to change that. By acknowledging the negative consequences and proposing solutions, we can work towards creating a healthier online environment for the upcoming generations. Parents, educators, and even students need to collaborate to help those who are already tangled in the web of mental health problems caused by social media and find ways to prevent these problems in the future. Teenagers should enjoy life at its fullest and constantly be in the moment, instead of spending hours locked up in a small space staring at a small screen.